We may have to rethink the this forum's description...

[The description of this forum has been redacted to preserve player sanity. It may or may not involve Pandaren.]

Moderator: Guild Officer

Itanya_blade

Re: We may have to rethink the this forum's description...

Postby Itanya_blade » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Y'all are so wrong

Shaila

Postby Shaila » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:25 pm

I like WoW again.

Kuoshiro

Postby Kuoshiro » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Or rather I like Pokemon, and Pokemon is in WoW.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 pm

On a slightly more elaborate note, in giving more thought to the story developments that we know of, thus far, for Mists of Pandaria...

We're entering some interesting territory here. Despite the vaunted "lightheartedness" of the Pandaren, Metzen was very clear on the fact that this next expansion focuses more than ever on the expanding conflict between the Horde and Alliance. It was stated, in no uncertain terms, that our respective campaigns are on their way to this vast, uncharted continent for the purpose of exploiting it, destroying it, even, in order to find fuel for our war machine. No comedy here; this is pretty dark territory, and it serves to throw the ugliness of an entire world at war with itself into very sharp relief.

The twist here is that the natives of this continent we're invading, rather than providing a mutual foe to fight (as has been the case in the past), are instead just going with it. They're picking sides, but not breaking ties; those Pandaren who find themselves fighting one another are stated to be doing so with all honor and respect, charging in with relish for the competition rather than animosity. It's an appropriately exaggerated take on that eastern philosophy of harmony and balance in action, and the narrative potential of this element added to a setting that's so centered around harsh, unceasing strife and chaos is nothing short of fascinating. There's a shift in tone here, that's for sure, but I don't think it's the shift that most people think it is. Mists of Pandaria looks to be nothing if not nuanced.

So, as RPers, we should be loving this. The full scope of the lore hasn't been delivered just yet, but this gives us a hell of a lot to kick around.

Kyraine

Postby Kyraine » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Also, one of the screenshots said they're bringing back corpse explosion.

BLOW UP ALL THE THINGS.

<ahem> Reading what you wrote Lans, makes sense. Plus, it'd be nice to have more of the open conflict we had in vanilla- there's too much going on now to brush it under the table.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Kost

Postby Kost » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 pm

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

I was ready to say 'Okay, stepping back from WoW, gonna go gung-ho on KotOR, gonna make me a bounty hunter. Rock it out with my rocket pack and wrist mounted flame thrower. Throw Kost in some carbonite. Hit on Zabraks (Are you 'horny' baby?) Call Jedi a bunch of zen loving pussies. Good times. Right?'
But nooooooo, they had to dangle a pretty pony and a panda.
My weakness.

...and pokemon??? Goddamnit! I have enough pets! I don't need more - stop appealing to my OCD! ...what the hell am I going to name my corehound puppy?
Not being able to govern events, I govern myself.

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Predictions come 5.0:

With the addition of the Pandaren to the Alliance, Bricu sheds his human disguise to reveal who he was all along: a great big furry bear.
Renouncing a life of axes and anger, Illi becomes a monk. A healer monk. Who smiles.
Chelody becomes the greatest companion pet trainer in Azeroth, like no one ever was before.
Tarquin tries to rob the ethereal void storage. Gets caught, turned into an ethereal as punishment. People say he's visibly put on weight.
Zeve becomes so happy he's not the most animalistic/dim in the guild that he lays on the floor panting while his back leg kicks out uncontrollably.
When Deathwings is finally defeated, the assembled raiders will pull off his mask to reveal... Uthas! And he would've gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling Aspects.
Metzen falls in love with Genise, discarding Thrall in favour for her. Keep tuned for further developments, such as Genise becoming the Aspect of Aspects, hiring Ronin as her pool boy, and having all her voice work done by Metzen himself.

I know I can't wait!
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Illithias wrote:Tarquin tries to rob the ethereal void storage. Gets caught, turned into an ethereal as punishment. People say he's visibly put on weight.

Punishment. Heh.
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Gryphonheart

Postby Gryphonheart » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Lansiron wrote:The twist here is that the natives of this continent we're invading, rather than providing a mutual foe to fight (as has been the case in the past), are instead just going with it.

Just a quick note, but the Pandaren who join the Alliance or Horde aren't exactly the same Pandaren who live on Pandaria. Several generations prior to the start of the expansion, a group of Pandaren who caught the wanderlust decided to go out on a giant turtle to see the world, and these wandering Pandaren are the ancestors of the player-controlled Pandaren. The Pandaren on Pandaria are decendents of those who were content to stay behind. Which is to say, the two groups have grown apart slightly over the generations, and so the Pandaren we encounter on Pandaria might not just be going along with the invasion of the continent as much as the whole "Pandaren are joining the Horde and Alliance" thing might make it seem.

Also, there are some serious-looking bad guys on Pandaria, too, so it's possible that the Pandaren of Pandaria are too embroiled in a conflict of their own to spare the resources to fight off the Alliance and Horde. I mean, one of the dungeons in Mists of Pandaria is a brewery. A brewery. What kind of prosperous Pandaren civilization would willingly allow a brewery to fall into enemy hands and/or reach the state of disrepair shown in the previews? Something's brewing (or, rather, not brewing :lol: ) in Pandaland, and I figure that something is why the Pandaren are just letting the Alliance and Horde rip their homeland apart. :P
My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on the limb. All I remember is thinking I want to be like them.
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little, it looked like fun—And it's no coincidence I've come...And I can die when I'm done

Loreli

Postby Loreli » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 am

Kuoshiro wrote:also the Riders are Team Rocket if this is Pokemon. Think about it.

Lans I will give you so much money to draw Tarquin in a Team Rocket shirt. The R clearly stands for Riders.

The Team Rocket uniforms ARE black and red XD
"A little extra DPS never killed anyon... Oh wait."
"Still alive, I see. Clearly you're not trying hard enough."

Return to “Spoilers”