The Icecrown Citadel Quest Log!

Where were you when Arthas fell?

Moderator: Guild Officer

Tarq

The Icecrown Citadel Quest Log!

Postby Tarq » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:42 pm

((This seemed like a sensible and entertaining way to do things - we're presenting a few options for people to play around with as part of the Icecrown assault. Feel free to write up an IC response placing your character - even just a short blurb, flex those muscles - or of course, make up your own!))
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Tarq

Re: The Icecrown Citadel Quest Log!

Postby Tarq » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:42 pm

As the camp rouses about her, an auburn-haired woman stands in the clearing between tents, dawn flickering off her armor. Her gauntlets are tucked at her belt so that she can hold a roll sheet in one hand, which she glances at and marks as you approach. Whatever feelings are passing through her mind on the morning of the great battle for our time, she keeps them to herself; her heart-shaped face is a model of calm professionalism, and there's even the faintest hint of a smirk to her brisk smile.

About time you were awake. Breakfast is on. My mother never said "Don't go to war on an empty stomach," but I think she should have.

Eaten already? Well, then, you'd best join the muster. There's a break in the wall, at the third point of the northwest facing, and that's where we're going in. Some of us a bit sooner than others - Jak Balthasar's in with the cavalry. I hope you brought your own mount, because Tarq wouldn't let me pay for extras. Stay clear of Darrows if you go over there, though. She's not happy with his, uh, tactics.

If you're not feeling chivalrous, the boss has a project in mind. He and my sister are rubbing their fingers together and cackling about it over there, and Ulthanon hasn't stopped grinning since they recruited him. So, you know that's going to be something for the ages.

The Skybreaker's taking off in two hours, and they're soliciting volunteers. I can't recommend it, but I guess I wouldn't recommend against it either. But if you've really got what my daughter might call the "bawks" for it, you should talk to Illithias.

Bricu and I are going to bring the banner in after Balthasar's charge. We'll deploy from there. Pick your poison, soldier.

Threnn begins to move towards the next person, but stops and turns her head. She is definitely smirking now.

I'll tell you a secret, by the way. Are you ready?

Threnn takes a step towards you and puts a hand on your shoulder.

We're going to win. Don't tell the Lich King. Now get your arse moving.

Threnn Bittertongue wants you to report in to the muster of the Wildfire Riders and their allies, and select an assignment or present your own plan of attack.

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Amidst the confusion of destriers, harnessed nightsabers, war rams, and the odd mechanical construct, you find a tall chap in gleaming black plate-and-mail, snapping orders at a harried staff of grooms and squires. He turns as you approach, and appears ready to bark a command before he recognizes you and offers a short-lived and businesslike smile.

Beg your pardon, there. This pack of glorified stable-muckers I've been saddled with couldn't harness a sedated mule. At this rate, we're going to be trotting in to pick up the refuse, such as our own thrown fucking horseshoes, you thumbless pissant!

This last is bellowed at a nearby man who can't seem to attach a horseshoe properly. Sir Jakob turns back, somewhat more composed.

Anyway. At least I've got a few folk who can handle themselves in a cavalry unit. We're going to be taking fire coming in, necromancers and gargoyles and the like, so look to your defenses. First shock will shatter the defenders, but the Scourge won't hesitate to fire on their own, so we'll have to keep moving until we reach cover. It's not going to be pretty, but we're going to have support of our own. Or so I'm guessing.

Look here. He brandishes a map. Third point, northwest facing, about sixty degrees along the wall. Lord Fordring's engineers have been knocking holes as fast as the Enemy can repair them, so it should be a straight run in. Don't get fancy, don't get caught up in a pitched fight - there's going to be plenty of them to run down. Just keep moving and trample anything that gets in your way. Keep to my banner. Do you see that?

Jakob nods sideways, indicating a tall lance bedecked with a trio of pennants - a black sword on blue, a golden sunburst on white, and a familiar pattern of red flames along black.

That banner is the point of the spear. Spears go in straight and come out unbroken. Keep to the banner. I don't want to have to come back for you. He pauses, then smiles again. But I will, of course. When the horns sound, come to my banner. Welcome to the cavaliers.

! Mount up and join Jakob Balthasar's cavalry charge through the broken wall of Icecrown Citadel, and follow his banner until you reach the interior of the fortress. Wait there for the infantry.

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:44 pm

The small woman pacing around a tent near the cavalry encampment appears to have exhausted her vocabulary of curse words, and is now excoriating someone or something in what sounds to be demonic. When you approach, she advances on you as if momentarily confused as to what, exactly, is supposed to be laid siege to here - but a look at her focused, glaring eyes and infuriated face dispels any notion of confusion.

I am going to kill him. It's only a matter of opportunity. Do you know how many bloody corpses are in there right now? Nobody is going to notice one more, no matter how tall, or muscular, or colossally stupid!

A cavalry charge. A cavalry charge! Like he's some sort of picaresque hero, some mythological buffoon. I'll bet his stupid bloody horse is going to leap over rubble that isn't even there. Just watch. It's the sort of thing he does, and waves around maps and pithy sayings to make it sound like he's using tactics. What are the tactics behind "Charge in on your horse and hit them"?

And do you know what the worst thing is? My employers - a pair of northern imbeciles playing at war like it's a jolly good game - are encouraging him! "Go on ahead, Jak," they say, "We'll give you covering fire." We'll give you covering fire! Neither of those idiots could conjure so much as a lightning bug! They just assume someone halfway competent is going to be around!

Well, far be it from me to ruin their precious delusions. I'll give that prick covering fire. Me, and whoever else I can get up in the air raining merry hell on the Scourge. Why don't you come? It'll be fun. We'll have mounds of steaming corpses. We can try to write our names.

Any hope that Yva Darrows has calmed is dispelled by her coldly violent smile.

We'll save Jakob and his moronic cavaliers. So that when we're done here, I can MURDER HIM MYSELF.

! Yva Darrows is recruiting artillery to cover the cavalry's approach through the wall. Clear the wall of Scourge ranged units while the Riders move into the Citadel!

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Off to one side of the camp, amidst the confusion and bustle of mobilisation, a tall elf sits on a stack of ammunition crates. It is near the Skybreaker staging and cargo area, soldier and crewfolk milling all about. Amoured in dark, kal'dorei-forged field plate, she runs a whetstone across the blade of a wicked looking axe. A small coterie of variously armed and armoured men and women loiter nearby, looking more akin to mercenaries than soldiers. Her stark white hair is brushed out of her face, showing the ruin which is half of her visage as she regards you.

You there? Yes, you. You look like someone who I might have a use for. You see, we're all here for the same reason. The banners have flown, the horns have called, and we've all made our way to this Elune-forsaken frozen wasteland in order to tear the Bloody Prince down from his fortress. But we're not all going to do so the same way as one another, are we?

The elf points out her arm, sweeping across the majority of the camps and preparations.

Some are going to sit on their valiant steeds, charging into the fray with spear and banner and desperate oath. Others will march lock-step behind them, ten by ten apiece, sword and shields locked together as they press in. While others still will overlook their advance, dropping rock or arrow or arcane bolt down from up high. That's not even to say those who will be working to tear down walls, or assault the spires by flight, or any other of the thousand and one ways in which to wage a war.

She turns back to face you, looking at your eyes and grinning ferally.

But that's not what we're going to do. Us here? We're going in ahead, behind the front lines. The proper term is skirmishers. I prefer the Black Reavers. We're going in ahead of everyone else, to make everyone else's jobs easier. We're going to take out vulnerable targets. Valuable targets. Small groups of shadowmancers. Artillery pieces. Defensive measures. We've also got another job, which transcends the first. Remember, not everything in that damn citadel is dead.

The elf turns her head and spits onto the muddy ice.

No, the Bloody Prince has his cultists, his necromancers and the like holed up in there; not all of his armies are undead. And we're going to take advantage of that fact. We're going to go in there and scare the ever-loving C'thunfuck out of them all. How about it? Think you've got what it takes to scare the Damned?

She leans in closer, lopsided grin creeping up the right side of her face, and ferociously wicked look in her coldly glowing silver eyes.

How about it, soldier? Would you rather put the sigil of the Argents or Blades on your chest, strap a shield to your arm, and march into the Bloody Prince's domain like a Light blessed ant? Or would you rather come with us here;

She spreads both arms wide, encompassing all those milling about close by. Many of them smirk.

Us here, and find out what it is like to feed a Damned necromancer the bones of his own minions until he dies?

The elf leans back, looking half down her nose, smiling indulgently.

And well, if you'd rather stay somewhere a relative degree safer, they still need more souls to crew the Skybreaker proper. I think Viridiant is assisting that effort, you should probably go and find her.

! Join Illithias and her Black Reavers vanguard skirmishers hitching a ride in the Skybreaker to infiltrate the Citadel behind the front lines, and then begin work harassing and disrupting vulnerable targets to aid the main assault.

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:45 pm

((And reserved!))

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 pm

((Eagerly awaiting more. I have to say; this is a novel approach!))

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Directed to a lavishly-decorated tent in the back of the encampment, you find yourself in what seems more like a fancy Stormwind hotel instead of a war camp. A young sorceress sits slumped at her desk, body bound in enough furs to make the entirety of the DEHTA burst into tears.

No... No... Perfect... No... Sigh, what a horrible night to be stuck in this terrible wasteland. Oh, goodness, her dress is a disaster. I should be there, but alas, the squadron must perform their duties.

The Sorceress of Elwynn, Genise Crownsilver, peers up as you enter, a gust of cold wind blowing her hair back over her shoulders. Freckled cheeks dimple as she smiles, and regards you curiously.

You're the one they sent to tend to my needs? Not bad, hmm, not bad at all. Look %N, I'm having some troubles, and I have every bit of confidence that you're the only %Race that can satisfy me.

She closes the book before her and leans forward against the desk, smile growing.

Your task is three-fold. Firstly, I need you to take my portal to Stormwind. You are to go to the Single's Ball at the Silver Feather, and bring me back two whole key-lime pies.

Secondly, travel to the Gryphon Master, and hand him this note. The carpet bombardiers are running low on ammunition, and we will be needing a new shipment for tomorrow's flight up to the top of the Citadel.

Thirdly, and this task is most vital... Bending over this desk and pouring through books and scrolls all day is absolutely killing me. I require a satisfying back rub... Oh, pick your jaw up, young %sex, I said an innocent back rub.

The young sorceress rubs her shoulder and groans wearily. A tingling pulse in your mind suggests that assisting her may be well worth the effort.

Return to “The Fall of the Lich King”