No more anonymous forum trolls?

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Galedorin

Re: No more anonymous forum trolls?

Post by Galedorin »

I know I've been quite scarce for the who-knows-how-gods-long it is, thanks to a multitude of situations, but what matters is it's been long enough that I've started really missing you guys. I swear the dreams that I remember about awesome moments in TRI and Roleplaying on WoW is getting into the double digits O.o
So I looked at my financial situation and stepped up job hunting efforts so I could plan on paying to get back in and go casual-core, primarily to hang out and RP rather than play the game.

Seeing this announcement stopped me cold.

While it will undoubtably curb trolling to a degree, it also opens up a proverbial pandora's box, where in a paranoia-addled state my brain came up with the following horrors:
Snail-mail Goldspam.
Picking up the phone and hearing garbled engrish with the keywords "WoW golds five dollas"
Even worse, the above happening in the workplace.
Auuuuuuuuuuuugh :shock:

I can't see anything good coming of this. Especially since I rarely bother to read troll posts.
Hell this is reminding me of that 'Net Neutrality!' phase that swept the net awhile back. Good lord.
Concider me in the group of those who are willing to cancel group to send the message that this is a seriously Bad Idea for Blizzard.

Edit: Aely, I second that blogpost. I killed some Internet Dragons with you guys back in the day, and all I'm getting now is a "My Real Name is..." T-shirt.
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
Lansiron

Post by Lansiron »

First off, @Aely: Thanks for that link. That guy has some good points; the INTERNET DRAGONS! gave me what feels like a much-needed laugh. :)

@Shad: The point that this could cost Blizzard the real, good, quality, productive posters on the forums is a damn good one, one that hopefully their decision-makers pick up as they go over all the rest of this...all of the other incredibly good arguments for reconsidering this move. >_>

The comment on the Euro forums about "we're okay with that" does seem pretty cold, and might have been worded better, seeing as how it sounds when taken out of context. But it was just that--taken out of context.

The full statement:

During this time, we have thought ahead about the scope and impact of this change and predicted that many people would no longer wish to post in the forums after this change goes live. We are fine with that, because we want to change these forums dramatically in a positive and more constructive direction.
(The full post)

The "because" counts. The people it seems this blue poster, Wryxian, was trying to refer to were the ones who don't post constructively--the trolls and flamers that, while perhaps inevitable, are still felt to be an enormous detriment to those boards by many. It's probably worth checking out the rest of his comments there--there's a lot more to be seen there than on the US counterpart to that thread (if I were to guess why, it's that Euro posters tend to stay more civil than US ones...or just that he's really chatty). I think it's worth pointing out that he's stated repeatedly that feedback is still being gauged, and that no decision is final, effectively, until it actually happens. This seems mostly consistent with Blizzard's history of updates. If it's any additional comfort, it wouldn't be the first time they pull or revise an idea after it was announced to the general public.

Believe me; I'm just as obsessively checking for more news on the subject as anyone else, regularly. I hope something more gets said on the matter soon.
Varenna

Post by Varenna »

Personal isn't the same as important.
Gryphonheart

Post by Gryphonheart »

I think Kurn of Kurn's Corner has a decent idea of what the execs are thinking with this change. She thinks that it's a move to increase profitability by reducing overhead.

I do, however, think she greatly overestimates the effectiveness of the change in fighting trolls.
My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on the limb. All I remember is thinking I want to be like them.
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little, it looked like fun—And it's no coincidence I've come...And I can die when I'm done
Israia

Post by Israia »

Gryphonheart wrote:I think Kurn of Kurn's Corner has a decent idea of what the execs are thinking with this change. She thinks that it's a move to increase profitability by reducing overhead.

I do, however, think she greatly overestimates the effectiveness of the change in fighting trolls.

Well, she's right regardless. They will require less mods than what they need if they go through with this.

They'll just have a playerbase and playerbase activity to match the lower count.

For me though, that'll be a loud and clear signal: Blizzard is dead. Long live Activision.
Threnn
Site Admin

Post by Threnn »

Lansiron wrote:The comment on the Euro forums about "we're okay with that" does seem pretty cold, and might have been worded better, seeing as how it sounds when taken out of context. But it was just that--taken out of context.

The full statement:

During this time, we have thought ahead about the scope and impact of this change and predicted that many people would no longer wish to post in the forums after this change goes live. We are fine with that, because we want to change these forums dramatically in a positive and more constructive direction.

It's not being taken out of context, Lans. Wryxian is saying they understand they're losing good, constructive posters along with the bad, and that is what they're okay with. I've reread the full statement several times since he put it up. That post is full of corporate spin and weasel-wording, and it condescends to the people making honest, legitimate protests.

I'll pick it apart line-by-line in a little while. Right now I have to run and catch a train. <3
Beltar

Post by Beltar »

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/cn ... o_stop_it/

It may be a little tinfoil hattish, but it's pretty plausible given what we know about Kotick and Activision's history.

This isn't about forum trolls. It's about creating some kind of super-Steam social gaming environment. And it looks like they're willing to pitch us over the side to aim for the Mafiaville crowd.

If this is true, it gets me even angrier. Security issues aside, it raises another point--if you've got to basically deceive your playerbase about the reasons behind what you're doing ("cleaning up the forums"), is it really worth doing?
Galedorin

Post by Galedorin »

Beltar wrote:http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/cnm4p/the_point_of_realid_and_how_to_stop_it/
This isn't about forum trolls. It's about creating some kind of super-Steam social gaming environment. And it looks like they're willing to pitch us over the side to aim for the Mafiaville crowd.

Hell, I read a column in Gameinformer that picked apart Farmville an issue or two back, and this sounds exactly along the lines of what they're hypothesis was: That companies will look at games like Farmville and see the "Step 1: Social Networking, Step 2: ?????? Step 3: PROFIT!" and since the game is about as much of a game as your standard korean free-to-play-pay-to-win MMO, this didn't bode well for the industry.

Heavens, just being part of 'acceptable losses' makes me want to neuter corperate america sometimes...
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
Lansiron

Post by Lansiron »

There wasn't only more to Wryxian's post; if you follow the Blizz-> links, there is further commentary along the lines of what I mentioned. He seems pretty intent to spread the word that the situation is still being considered.

I certainly can't stop any of it as being picked apart as "corporate spin", though. You could probably do that to anything ever written, though anything written about this is basically begging for it.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not specifically "defending" this. It's a stupid idea. It will only bring harm. It's up in the air as to whether or not any amount of protest will change it. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. We know nothing yet.

The whole situation is truly and heavily discouraging.
Threnn
Site Admin

Post by Threnn »

Lans, I agree that Wryxian's follow-up posts are more reassuring. I followed the links to those, too (I've been reading every blue post on this that's cropped up, not just on the WoW forums, but on the battle.net ones as well). He's more visible than Nethaera is on our thread, and I appreciate that. He does make it sound like they're listening and giving feedback to the powers that be. But the tone of his later responses sound like a CM engaging with his community. That first post sounds like something he was asked to copy and paste, which is why I'm picking it apart.

I also want to make it clear that this isn't an attack on you; it's me venting my frustration at being spun by Activision-Blizzard. I resent it. This is sort of cathartic. Therapy by snark, directed at whoever made this terrible decision.

Hokay. Here goes:

We have been planning this change for a very long time.

Probably since December of 2007 or so.

The Facebook integration was announced 5/5/10. Which means they were making the deal for a long time before that. Not sure how long, precisely, but I'd say at least six months.

During this time, we have thought ahead about the scope and impact of this change and predicted that many people would no longer wish to post in the forums after this change goes live.

"Many people." Not "trolls." "Many people." Which means they realized, even as they planned it, that posters both good and bad would stop participating on the forums.

We are fine with that, because we want to change these forums dramatically in a positive and more constructive direction.

Again. Good people will stop posting as well. This is okay by them. (For nebulous values of "them;" I'm not convinced these are the mods' words. Pretty sure this is something Wryxian was given to post by someone higher up the chain. His later responses to people posting in the thread have a different tone -- still formal, but not nearly as stiff and corporate.)

Changing the forums "in a positive and more constructive direction" is where my spin-detectors start really sounding. This is corporate-speak; it's the phrasing you throw out when you're passing out news people won't like. Last fall, I came in to emails from our CIO telling us how laying off 2/3 of the IT department was a GOOD thing for the company, and how, by getting rid of these people (some of whom had been with us for over 20 years), we would be able to move in a new and exciting direction.

This is the language you use when you know you're delivering shitty news that people won't like. It doesn't really mean much of anything.

It's been very obvious over the last few years that the forums are an exceptionally valuable source of information both for players and for us to gather feedback. There are many threads on this forum now, and over the last few years, that people have been constructively discussing many aspects of the game. They've received new wisdom and have then been able to go back to the game and enjoy it further with the new knowledge acquired through the forums.

Again, acknowledging the good stuff on the forums. Though, I note they never say the one word that actually, y'know, defines the forums: community.

These threads, however, can often be lost amongst a great deal of other threads that are basically filled with trolling, name calling, flaming, off-topic conversations and that's just a small amount of some of the content that has been found in these forums over the years. We don't want that anymore, and we believe the Real ID change will bring about a lot of the improvement that we are hoping for.

Yep. There's bad stuff here, too. But rather than handing perma-bans to the people who repeatedly engage in that behavior (seriously, raise your hand if you've ever reported Ravenhunter for calling people faggots on the Feathermoon forums. I've been doing it for years, and yet he's still around), those kinds of posts continue to clutter up the forums.

Believe me, I can imagine the nightmare that it must be, wrangling even a fraction of the 11 million potential posters across -- how many individual forums? But if your forums are a cesspool, give your mods the power to clean them up. Three-hour bans and 24-hour bans don't stop trolls. And, if you look at the forum code of conduct, most of the penalties for trolling and flaming are simply temporary -- obscene/vulgar language, inapporopriate language, harassing/defamatory language, insulting religions or nationalities: those all only receive a temporary ban under the rules. There's mention at the bottom of r"Repeatedly violating any area of the Blizzard Terms of Use or Forum Code of Conduct, including the areas detailed above, will often result in permanent banishment from the forums." Again, I point you to Ravenhunter, or whoever he's posting as these days.

If they want to clean up the forums, they need to make those penalties matter. First incident, the poster gets a 24-hour ban. Second incident, no posting for a week. Third incident, a month or more. Fourth incident, perma-ban.

There's a lot of scare-mongering going on about the change,

PEOPLE SAYING THEY DON'T WANT TO BE STALKED OR HARASSED IS NOT SCARE-MONGERING JESUS CHRIST.

Ahem.

That, right there, is what we call belittling, diminishing, and dismissive language. It's a form of silencing, and it really, really grates on me to see it in that post.

Now, if Wryxian/Blizzard went on to correct actual misconceptions: that the RealID names won't be retroactive, for example, I'd be less caps-locky. But look at what he goes on to say:

but there seems a need to make something very clear. The forums have always been an optional extra -- something you can choose to participate in if you wish to.

In other words, if you don't like it, you don't have to be part of it. It's silencing, still, just spun to make it look like it's our choice to do so or not. Which it is!

But right now, with our character names visible, it's a choice of "Do I want to take part in this discussion or not."

With our real names visible it's, "Do I want to take part in this discussion, possibly opening myself up to being found and contacted against my wishesIRL, or not."

With our Real ID changes for the forums, this is still the case. The only difference will be, if you do choose to participate in the forums, then you will do so by using your real name.

Only difference. ahahahahahahahaaha.

That's a huge gorram difference, right there. The current posting method lets you make your statements under a handle that, unless you willingly give out your personal information, is still pretty anonymous. The Real ID method takes away the safety that comes with that anonymity. That's not a trivial thing.

But only after you've been warned and accepted this in advance.

Mmmm, ass-covering. Check out your TOS:

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY; SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY; INDEMNIFICATION

1. BLIZZARD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE OR YOUR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE. IN NO CASE SHALL BLIZZARD BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, ANY GAME OR ANY GAME CLIENT. IN NO CASE SHALL THE LIABILITY OF BLIZZARD EXCEED THE AMOUNT THAT YOU PAID TO US DURING THE SIX (6) MONTHS PRIOR TO THE TIME YOUR CAUSE OF ACTION AROSE. Because some states or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or the limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, in such states or jurisdictions, the liability of Blizzard and its affiliates shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by law.
2. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH BLIZZARD IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICE, AND TO CANCEL ALL ACCOUNTS REGISTERED TO YOU.
3. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Blizzard harmless from any claim, demand, damages or other losses, including reasonable attorneys' fees, asserted by any third-party resulting from or arising out of your use of the Service or any Game, or any breach by you of this Agreement, the Code of Conduct or any Game EULA.

So, basically, once RealID names go live, if you want to post, you'll get a bunch of warnings that say "HEY. IF YOU DO THIS AND SOMEONE FUCKS WITH YOU, IT'S YOUR PROBLEM." From that point on, as far as they're concerned, you chose to put your name out there and whatever RL repercussions you might suffer for trying to be a constructive member of the community is none of their concern.