No more anonymous forum trolls?

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Bellesta

No more anonymous forum trolls?

Postby Bellesta » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:45 pm

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... 1&sid=3000

Interesting. I don't post often on the main WoW forums, but I do read them from time to time. I don't really intend to post if it shows my real name, but I kinda like the idea that all forum trolls will have to man up and stop hiding behind alts.

Shad

Re: No more anonymous forum trolls?

Postby Shad » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Officially the worst idea I've ever heard from Blizzard. Trolling can be bad. Internet stalking can be much, much worse. I'm in the camp of not having a problem with RealID, but this is just ridiculous. Trolls are fine, l2moderate.
I don't know if you know this, but baby bears are precious and soft. --Mylune

Bellesta

Postby Bellesta » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:59 pm

They would solve what they're trying to solve by simply having people choose a permanent nick name for their battle.net, and making them post under that, I think.

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:08 pm

This is freaking ridiculous. GG Blizz.

Aelflaed

Postby Aelflaed » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Shad wrote:Officially the worst idea I've ever heard from Blizzard. Trolling can be bad. Internet stalking can be much, much worse. I'm in the camp of not having a problem with RealID, but this is just ridiculous. Trolls are fine, l2moderate.

^this.

I'm not using RealID, but with its implementation, I don't have an innate problem with it (my issues are kind of Anna-specific, so whatever). Or I didn't. Now I do. Add to that the wonder that is google indexing of these forums, and now potential employees can find out that you play a video game. And post about it online. Perhaps you even write stories about that video game and post them online. Or maybe you do a lot of theorycrafting.

I'm sure that can only be GOOD for my chances of getting an office job, right?
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking

Shaila

Postby Shaila » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:25 pm

If this change goes through as-is, I will no longer be posting on Blizzard's forums. Which makes me really sad, as I enjoyed discussing lore and providing feedback through their new Story forum a WHOLE lot.

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Just in case anyone's concerned about their previous posting;

Bashiok wrote:One important point which I don't believe has been relayed yet is that the switch to showing RealID on the forums will only happen with the new forum systems we're launching for StarCraft II shortly before its release, and a new forum system for World of Warcraft launching shortly before the release of Cataclysm.

All posts here on the current World of Warcraft forums, or any of our classic Battle.net forums, will remain as-is. They won't (and can't) automatically switch to showing a real first and last name.

All posts in the future on the new forum systems will be an opt-in choice and ample warning will be given that you're posting with your real first and last name.
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Itanya_blade

Postby Itanya_blade » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:09 pm

They say that now.

They also said that real ID is opt-in. This despite the fact that GMs will regularly refer you to the forums, where you will have to post with your real name just to get that help.

Shaila

Postby Shaila » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:11 pm

If I remember my experience with trying to contact Blizzard by phone as well, I never actually was able to get through and was referred to the forums.

Granted they also referred me to e-mail but in my experience the forums are a much more efficient and helpful way of getting the help you need.

Shad

Postby Shad » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 pm

I keep wondering if this is their subtle way of cost-cutting by reducing forum usage.

I also wonder if anyone has asked the CMs announcing this to reveal their real names. Since, y'know, they'll be posting on their real names when this goes live. They should get used to delivering news that makes people angry when people know their real names.

The best part is, if someone did ask for their real names? It would probably be interpreted as a threat.

I work for a company that has several call centers. I sit right next to the billing support team. They're -not allowed- to give out their last names, specifically so as not to risk crazy people stalking them. Given that the craziness quotient of many a Blizz player has been long demonstrated to be well over nine thousand, I absolutely BOGGLE that they are going to, essentially, endanger their employees in that manner.
I don't know if you know this, but baby bears are precious and soft. --Mylune

Return to “General”