No more anonymous forum trolls?

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Lansiron

Re: No more anonymous forum trolls?

Postby Lansiron » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:24 pm

My recommendation: Wait. Post on those forums (if you must) only before this thing goes live, and wait to see what happens, if this happens, before making any major decisions based on it.

This is good intentions spiraling down a decidedly unambiguous road to hell. Those forums, if you'll pardon my flowery evocation, are a seething, wretched cesspit of futility. Yes, good things have, now and then, crawled out of there, and bless them for it, but as a "community", it's utterly excreble. It's moderated, but only to the extent that they'll take action if someone is blatantly posting vulgarity or harassment; no attention is paid to maintaining the quality of posts, which it seems every other internet forum out there has some kind of nod in the direction of. As it stands, it's the very last place I'd ever check if I want some kind of discussion over something WoW-related, and I'm far from the only one.

So. I do not necessarily blame them for wanting to do this, as bad an idea as it is--and make no mistake, it's a bad idea--because the place is in such wretched shape right now. But, already there's backlash, and the sheer size of the thread on it on the General board speaks volumes. Something would have to go pretty wrong at this point for them to not critically reconsider this course of action.

The easy medium here would be to allow everyone a single forum alias attached to a Bnet account, which hopefully someone responsible for that place has considered, but...we'll see. Just keep an eye on what develops, throw out the tinfoil hats, and wait.

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Posted my disapproval in the major thread.

Gryphonheart

Postby Gryphonheart » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:42 pm

The thread continues to grow at nearly a new page every minute. Quite a feat. Sadly, it's filled with both the reasons why Blizzard shouldn't go through with the change, and why they feel they should (i.e. forum trolls).

I'll probably add my thoughts to the thread and webform once I can put them together coherently.
My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on the limb. All I remember is thinking I want to be like them.
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little, it looked like fun—And it's no coincidence I've come...And I can die when I'm done

Fells

Postby Fells » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:00 pm

This new system has nothing to do with curbing trolling.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Well yeah, they're trying to make it part of a bigger community, as well (Bnet).

Also JENI WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THIS THREAD AGAIN GO WATCH AVATARS NOW

Gryphonheart

Postby Gryphonheart » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Fells wrote:This new system has nothing to do with curbing trolling.

...however, the forums have also earned a reputation as a place where flame wars, trolling, and other unpleasantness run wild. Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment...

I interpret "contribute to a more positive forum environment" as a direct opposite of the "unpleasentness" of "flame wars, trolling", etc. (I.E. to curb trolling).

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding your statement, and you actually mean that while the stated intention is partially to curb trolling, that's not actually the goal and it's just an excuse used to validate the implementation of the system?
My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on the limb. All I remember is thinking I want to be like them.
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little, it looked like fun—And it's no coincidence I've come...And I can die when I'm done

Fells

Postby Fells » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Shaila

Postby Shaila » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Carefully consider this.

(alternatively: a frog sings of eating a fairy)

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:49 pm

I bet you all wouldn't be so quick to derail this thread with YouTube links if you were posting under your real names.
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Return to “General”