Despicable Me

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Narokor

Despicable Me

Postby Narokor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:38 am

My crew and I checked it yesterday evening, and we enjoyed it.
We kinda bounced some ideas off of each other after it was over with. Y'know, because a group of 20-somethings with nothing better to do relish the chance to watch a Rated-G movie about a supervillain doing silly things, and then discuss it semi-intelligently afterwards.

....yes! So.
A family movie at heart, but I recommend for all sorts of folks, in which you will see the following and more:

- A package of spidery robots, disguised as a box of cookies.
- A gun that shoots live squids.
- The plausible solution as to where a thief actually stashes the Pyramid of Giza.
- A supervillian who actually does his own laundry when not tasked with other problems.
- The successful (kinda) theft of the Moon.
- Swan Lake.
- Finger puppets.
- A particularly hilarious segment featuring an anti-gravity serum.

Check it out. I approve.
You didn't ever make metal, buddy.
Metal made you.

Lansiron

Re: Despicable Me

Postby Lansiron » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:59 am

I'm very interested in seeing this. It's a shame, though, that not too many of my friends around here are as much into "kid's cartoons" as I am...which often leaves me trying to decide how best not to seem creepy or weird as a grown man going by himself to see one of these.

Still, I love me some stuff like this; "How to Train your Dragon" was another recent, awesome movie along these lines. Proof that something needs neither "edginess" nor "sophistication" to be great.

Threnn
Site Admin

Postby Threnn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Narokor wrote:- Finger puppets.

So, uh. We published Sleepy Kittens, as a tie-in to the movie, and it might just be the most adorable thing ever.

Yes, we all tried out the puppets. Four adult sales reps, cooing over how gorram cute the book was.

Fells

Postby Fells » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:48 pm

!!! Lauren, I am ordering that right now.

The one thing that bugged me about Despicable Me is how clearly they meant to have David Spade voice Vector.

Mugrir

Postby Mugrir » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Good movie, just fun and cute and with way too many quotables!

The one thing I really found interesting is how Pharrell Williams of the Neptunes as the main person that worked on the music for it. Wasn't expecting that!

Varenna

Postby Varenna » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:16 pm

I saw this the other day. I wasn't sure what to expect, and was delighted. It's one of those movies where the plot doesn't do anything particularly surprising; rather it takes its tropes, it's fully aware of them, and it showcases and pampers them to excellent effect. I absolutely loved it.
Personal isn't the same as important.

Return to “General”