My Toxx

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Grendrak

Re: My Toxx

Postby Grendrak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Aelflaed wrote:Seconding the recommendation for Kashi Go Lean. The honey almond flax is as delicious as the "original" too. Also, if you like oatmeal, McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats are the way to go ("rolled" oats are more processed, and have less fiber and good stuff in them). Excellent with Splenda's Brown Sugar blend and fresh blueberries/peaches. Eggs can also be a good breakfast - especially if you make them ahead (like these: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/ ... again.html - warning, I've NEVER had mine come out looking all even like that. Also avoid paper muffin tin liners if you try them).

How much cooking are you looking to do, vs. packaged meals?

If, like me, you are not keen on drinking plain water, carbonated water with ice and half a lemon squeezed in it is tasty, and about as good. >.>

McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats are totally amazing. I love that stuff. Takes some getting used to if you have texture issues but the flavor is head and shoulders above standard rolled oats.

I may try that water thing since I personally pretty much hate plain water and very rarely ever drink plain straight water.

Something else you can do that is very easy but burns a respectable amount of calories is stand at your computer, you burn a lot more calories just by standing instead of sitting.

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Soda water is a good alternative to "boring water" too, in my opinion. Also works better for rehydrating a hangover like no-one's business.

I've spent time working in professional kitchens, my father's a chef, and I'm currently writing my own personal cook/recipe book. Like the other foodies on the boards, I'm more than happy to help you with meals/recipes which are both healthy and tasty as fuck, if you ever feel like IM/PMing me to chat.
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Oh, and when I'm doing cardio at the gym, I always select my experiemental hardcore / industrial rock playlists. Better tempos than the dance MoS/God's Kitchen shit most gyms usually play. CttS makes *awesome* work-out music.
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Kyraine

Postby Kyraine » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:31 pm

It's doable! Some random thoughts... If you're out and about running, it helps to change up your routes sometimes. It's a small thing, but if you get bored running the same places all the time like I do, it helps to go somewhere new. I'm doing 3-4 days a week after coming back from being sick, and I agree, that's enough if you're just starting. And seriously remember to stretch- walk a bit to warm the muscles up, stretch, run, walk to cool down, and stretch again is what I usually do.

Instead of plain water, how about iced tea? You can make your own (teavana has some awesome blends) and they're good enough that I never add sugar to it, of any type. I can't have artificial sweetners, so I drink it plain. I have no idea if that's as good as plain water, but if you go sugarless, there's very little to no calories. And veggies, dark green leafy sorts of things have lots of iron in them, which is good if you're trying to cut back on red meat but need to make sure you have enough iron.

Best of luck, it's a tough goal, but you'll get it done.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:26 am

I just have to say that this thread is extremely useful.

I gotta do some trimming up myself. >_> I wouldn't say I'm "fat", but definitely way outta shape.

Funny thing about sugar...it sucks. Not only does it just convert into dead weight if you don't burn it off, it also causes you to crash hard. I've learned this the hard way, working a sedentary desk-job like I've been for the past six years or so.

Energy drinks can be good for you taken in moderation, note, since they usually contain a ton of vitamins, but avoid the regular ones like the freakin' plague--sugarless all the way.

Instead of plain water, how about iced tea? You can make your own (teavana has some awesome blends) and they're good enough that I never add sugar to it, of any type. I can't have artificial sweetners, so I drink it plain. I have no idea if that's as good as plain water, but if you go sugarless, there's very little to no calories. And veggies, dark green leafy sorts of things have lots of iron in them, which is good if you're trying to cut back on red meat but need to make sure you have enough iron.

This! That "crystal light" stuff ain't bad, either, if you want something to drink that's sweet, but unsweetened iced tea is really good (albeit an acquired taste for most people, it seems).

Also, never underestimate the potential deliciousness of spinach.

Israia

Postby Israia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:19 pm

I wrote this after reading through this thread and making this post(so consider this a 'final' thing?):
My Toxx Post on SA wrote:Per the suggestion and request of people in my RP community(as I'm also cross-posting this stuff over there- and holy shit, the thread exploded in the best possible ways), I've begun to record my food intake and exercises on FatSecret.com, to have a clear marker of intake and impetus to losing more.

Because of this, I was able to figure out that yesterday I had a TOTAL maximum caloric intake of only 1748 calories. Turns out, when you eat the right food? You don't get hungry as fast, at all. Loving that.

However, I need to get a LOT better at eating more consistently throughout the day. The 3-meals-a-day game is not going to help me lose weight, especially considering they tend to be no where near each other in times. So, I'm going to separate those next time- we still have a bit of leftover 'chicken permesan' from yesterday(per piece, about 260 calories, though FatSecret estimated it much higher), and I can turn that into two separate 'meals' for use at different times. I need to get a consistent time frame to be eating, though, to get my body used to it.

Also, I woke up this morning with no pains whatsoever. Felt like I could've done another one of yesterday's suicide runs without issue, but I'm holding off just in case. I want to be able to keep doing it without overdoing it. However, I'm adding in an in-between exercise that a friend suggested, that is located here, under the "What, me exercise?" section. It seems fantastic for an off-day exercise.

Welp; Time to go start my day off. I'm going to be having some store-brand cheerios for breakfast before getting those exercises done, then moving on with my day. Will likely post more later, but at least every day.

Dravir wrote:It's a good goal: not dangerously hard and a target where if you work right you can keep the weight off easily (which are the two major points!) I'll hit you up later with more stuff, but here's some initial advice.

I like the couch to 5k look, but since you have 3 months, I would suggest a 3 month program. I've a few I could point you to, but the end goal, after 3 months, is 10km; it may sound like a lot more, but it is very doable, and you'll end up in much better form.

With no weights, I strongly advise investing in a workout elastic. They are great for stretching and resistance, and you can usually find them for very cheap if you hunt a bit.

On the topic of losing weight, though: generally, you'll experience some good initial loss, but plateau for a bit as you get into the routine of it, or even somehow gain a goddamn pound or two back. Don't panic, but you're gaining muscle, which is heavy, while losing fat. This can be a routine-kill for a lot of people going into a new diet-type thing, as they get discouraged over stalled progress, but pushing through it is the key, as eventually your new muscle will start burning some hardcore fat away.

Also, for tracking your weight? I recommend a smallish white board, somewhere where it will always be in your face. Right on top of your monitor, maybe? Keep track of it each 'running' day, charted for this week, and then at least previous week. For the whole ordeal, just in a notebook works.

You know, my Mom has a workout elastic, and I can at least try it. I'm completely terrified of it breaking on me and flaying off of my skin, but the chances on that have to be low... right? Heh. Heh. :(

Have any recommendations for a 3 month program? Part of what made me like 5k was that it'd be 'done' before the end of my diet, and I could start at that point adding days onto my week or just extending the run- though, I'd be horribly surprised if I could actually run a whole three miles by the end of it. If I could... holy shit. I'd be so proud of myself.

I won't panic in the case of suddenly gaining weight back, or anything; Honestly, if anything, I'm probably gonna double down when that happens. I think my subconscious is convinced this isn't going to work, but the rest of me is telling my subconscious to shut up, I'm gonna be sexy dammit.

A white board isn't a horrible idea either- I'll see if I can't pull that together.

Aelflaed wrote:The other thing to remember is that your body processes WAY more water every day than you're capable of gaining or losing. It's normal to have a swing of a pound or two up or down - especially if you have a day with an unusually high amount of salt (like eating a lot of restaurant food). When you weigh yourself can make a big difference as well (as can how well/poorly hydrated you are).

The reason I like FatSecret, aside from the food database, is that it actually /charts/ your weight when you enter it - so you can see that what's important is not "OH GOD I GAINED THREE POUNDS YESTERDAY" but that the overall trend is in the "down" direction. (or "stable", or "up" - there are people using FatSecret for all three)

As for tracking what you eat, I'm a HUGE fan. It forces you to be honest with yourself, and to learn a lot about what a "serving" really is, regardless of whether the food is nutritionally dense or not. Did you eat one serving of sliced turkey or three? (on the sliced turkey I make sandwiches out of, one serving is about a slice and a half, so a "normal" sandwich for me is two "servings".) You'll also learn that "serving" is frequently a gimmick by the food industry to make their food look good. But that's a rant for another day.

For an "in between" workout that you can use - try this http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/ - specifically the chapter "What, Me Exercise?" - it breaks down 6 really basic exercises with detailed instructions, as well as "rungs" of a ladder that you can progress up as you get better - it's designed so that you can figure out where your current "rung" is as well, so getting started isn't too hard. It's easy to follow and doesn't require any extra stuff - though a set of resistance bands, an exercise ball, or a chin up bar are all great "non-weight" home exercise equipment, this would be a good "off day" thing to try as well. The most important thing with exercise is to figure out what you like and can/will do.

Yeah, my water drinking has actually gone up to insane levels- that is one of the things that I just found out 2 weeks ago when I truly first started, and immediately changed my diet to accommodate. I now drink a full glass of water before having any meals, and that's changed the meal size equation completely.

And yeah, the last last time(you might notice a trend here, hence the sudden threats of no WoW for myself) I tracked my food intake and found all about the serving nonsense. Hell, last night, my Mom thought as a way to be better about what to put on my chicken that she could use Seasoning Salt instead of Parmesan, thinking "Well the seasoning salt has no calories!" Yeah... excepr it contains 48% of my daily sodium intake in 1/4th of a teaspoon. Yeah, fuuuuck that. I'd much rather have a 20 calorie parmesan 'serving' spread over two pieces of chicken than just obliterate my sodium levels.

I'm definitely going to do those rungs today as my 'off day' exercise. I'll probably start low, but who cares. That's what building up is for! :D

Chrystenise wrote:Kashi Go Lean for your cereal.

Heck, Kashi everything for your grain foods. =P

Use splenda in place of your sugars when possible, eat as little red meat as possible, where as chicken is easily the leanest, easily available meat. Drinks like Ensure are good meal replacements as well that will have little effect on adding pounds to you.

Avoid soda like the plague, especially Mountain Dew. (A gamer sin, I know, but you can shoot me later =P)

Vegetables might suck, but they're great for you.

Lots of water, it fuels your metabolism.

B Vitamins, especially B12, helps send your metabolism into overdrive. A good multivitamin can't do any harm as well.

Don't starve yourself. Eat smaller, frequent meals instead. Starving yourself kicks your body into survival mode and will all but put the brakes on your metabolism.

For a workout without any sort of tools, go with push-ups (of course), crunches/sit-ups, whichever is most comfortable for you to do, lunges/squat-thrusts.

Basic aerobic exercises will go a long way as well. Windmills, sways, shoulder rolls, etc. The key to a good workout isn't so much in what you use to achieve your burn, so much as the fact that you -do- actually achieve it.

If running becomes too difficult, there's nothing wrong with a good power walk as well. Keeping the body active is the key, regardless of the activity.

8 Hours of sleep a night. Keep the body recharged and fresh.

As well as, I'm not sure how natural you wish to keep this process, but there's also certain legit medications that do a great deal for weight loss, such as phentarmine/adipex, though after personally seeing a friend on that stuff, I'd avoid it unless you're into legal speed. =P

Woah, ton here. And per Aelflaed as well, I'll see if I can't do the Kashi stuff, though isn't it mad expensive? Meh, I'll find out. And considering how little else I'll be eating, we should be able to make up the difference.

I've cut 100% soda out of my diet. Honestly this isn't a horribly big deal for me; I quit it before on a dare because someone said I was addicted and stayed off for 2 years. Now I'm just drinking water, plain, and finding it plenty delicious. But then again, that quenching feeling is not to be trifled with- friggin' incredible. Water really is the perfect drink :P

Running isn't too difficult. Honestly I feel like I could do a run today, but I don't want to chance fucking me up for the week. Tomorrow. And no cocaine, Gabby :|

Aelflaed Again wrote:Seconding the recommendation for Kashi Go Lean. The honey almond flax is as delicious as the "original" too. Also, if you like oatmeal, McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats are the way to go ("rolled" oats are more processed, and have less fiber and good stuff in them). Excellent with Splenda's Brown Sugar blend and fresh blueberries/peaches. Eggs can also be a good breakfast - especially if you make them ahead (like these: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/ ... again.html - warning, I've NEVER had mine come out looking all even like that. Also avoid paper muffin tin liners if you try them).

How much cooking are you looking to do, vs. packaged meals?

If, like me, you are not keen on drinking plain water, carbonated water with ice and half a lemon squeezed in it is tasty, and about as good. >.>

I'll definitely look into that oatmeal- I loooooooove Oatmeal, just a matter of eating it instead of cereal(not hard). And the plan is to totally have tons and tons of cooking, I'd love for this to be an impetus to learn to cook better and for myself more often.

Grendrak wrote:Something else you can do that is very easy but burns a respectable amount of calories is stand at your computer, you burn a lot more calories just by standing instead of sitting.

Desk is too small, sadly. But I'm getting up more often in my days, so hopefully that helps still? ><

Illithias wrote:Soda water is a good alternative to "boring water" too, in my opinion. Also works better for rehydrating a hangover like no-one's business.

I've spent time working in professional kitchens, my father's a chef, and I'm currently writing my own personal cook/recipe book. Like the other foodies on the boards, I'm more than happy to help you with meals/recipes which are both healthy and tasty as fuck, if you ever feel like IM/PMing me to chat.

Moar Illithias wrote:Oh, and when I'm doing cardio at the gym, I always select my experiemental hardcore / industrial rock playlists. Better tempos than the dance MoS/God's Kitchen shit most gyms usually play. CttS makes *awesome* work-out music.

Normal water will be fine for me. We've got a filter on our fridge that gives fantastic tasting absolutely pure water. I'll definitely talk to you about the healthy 'n tasty stuff, and in general folks, please just link/post recipes all you want! About the only things I have too much trouble with to try are lettuce and most salad veggies when raw. My body rejects them pretty hardcore- but I'm going to make an effort over the next few weeks to get some of them in my diet more often. Also, per Fox's request of me, I'm getting some celery and peanut-buttering those up :|

Also, in that last note? Yeah, CttS makes fantastic rhythm music like no other. I'm super pleased that you remember that I like them- or did you not and you just love them as much as I do? XD

Kyraine wrote:It's doable! Some random thoughts... If you're out and about running, it helps to change up your routes sometimes. It's a small thing, but if you get bored running the same places all the time like I do, it helps to go somewhere new. I'm doing 3-4 days a week after coming back from being sick, and I agree, that's enough if you're just starting. And seriously remember to stretch- walk a bit to warm the muscles up, stretch, run, walk to cool down, and stretch again is what I usually do.

Best of luck, it's a tough goal, but you'll get it done.

Oh, definitely a good idea with the running. I've got a lot of places to run by my house, but the most obvious one is the 'island' of grass between the two sides of the road down the main street of my neighborhood. But if I go in the other direction I can find more- or, I could use the canal right next to my house, if I want! Lots of possible solutions. Also, I've been stretching more/better before workouts now, too, usually between the warmup and the first 'run' part of the 5k. That helps a ton- even after yesterday's chest-destroying exercise, my legs have felt pretty much fine.

Iced Tea is very :( for me. The taste is completely not for me- infinitely bitter unless you put enough sugar in to kill the entire point. But I still love water anyhow.

Lansiron wrote:I just have to say that this thread is extremely useful.

I gotta do some trimming up myself. >_> I wouldn't say I'm "fat", but definitely way outta shape.

Funny thing about sugar...it sucks. Not only does it just convert into dead weight if you don't burn it off, it also causes you to crash hard. I've learned this the hard way, working a sedentary desk-job like I've been for the past six years or so.

Energy drinks can be good for you taken in moderation, note, since they usually contain a ton of vitamins, but avoid the regular ones like the freakin' plague--sugarless all the way.

This! That "crystal light" stuff ain't bad, either, if you want something to drink that's sweet, but unsweetened iced tea is really good (albeit an acquired taste for most people, it seems).

Also, never underestimate the potential deliciousness of spinach.

Hey, the more the merrier. I'm going to likely turn this/my SA Toxx post into a journal of sorts, so others using it too would be amazing. Speaking of which, THANK YOU EVERYONE. From the bottom of my heart, at that. I feel so humbled by the sudden outpouring of support and ideas and it's made a lot of this about not letting you guys down. All I'll need to do is look at this thread on days I begin to feel like I don't need to do it, and it'll remind me. I'm doing this for myself, for sure- but if I don't, then I let you guys down too.

To get back onto Lans' post: Yeah, God, sugar is such a devil that you don't know till you go without and see how you feel without it. It's crazy just how horrible you crash through a lot of it when you could've been just fine if you had something healthier.

Also: I've totally never had spinach IN MY LIFE. I need to fix this. I wanna be like Popeye, but without the chin and pipe.

Dalbarr

Postby Dalbarr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Spinach is full of tasty awesome healthiness. If you don't like lettuce just forget about it. It doesn't have much nutritional value anyway. If you want to get into eating salads make them with spinach.

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Spinach also makes a fantastic vegetable base for curried anything.
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Israia

Postby Israia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Dalbarr wrote:Spinach is full of tasty awesome healthiness. If you don't like lettuce just forget about it. It doesn't have much nutritional value anyway. If you want to get into eating salads make them with spinach.

I had no idea you could make a salad with spinach. Now I need to find out if I like spinach.

Itanya_blade

Postby Itanya_blade » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Just about any leafy green can be used in a salad.

I always like to pack mine with all kinds of veggies.

Also, let me recommend adding legumes to your diet. Not only do they add decent nutrients. They're also very filling

Return to “General”