Computer woes.

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Illithias

Computer woes.

Postby Illithias » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:40 pm

So, my current PC is about 5-6 years old. Cutting edge when it was put together, but now... not so much. It's been on it's way out for a little while; getting slower, gradually more unreliable, occasionally weird connectivity/proxy issues. I've known that I'm going to have to get around to replacing it for a while now. Recently, it'd started throwing up random system related errors, having integral Windows processes crash out and forcing reboots, et al.

So, all in all an annoying situation, but dealable. Until yesterday. Yesterday, I got home after work, booted it up (first time, thankfully), and went to check how much more of 4.0.1 I'd need to download. That's when I found out that the background downloader had not, in fact, been downloading in the background, and I had nothing of 4.0.1 downloaded at all. And when I tried to start it up manually, Warcraft and my computer threw a shitfit at each other, leaving Warcraft sulking in the corner refusing to connect to the patch download, and Windows sitting there with a retard grin on it's face, asking me if I wasn't to start something important so that it could crash half-way through. And I'm not exactly sure how to resolve it.

Well, I do, really. I need to rebuild my PC, and if I want to get back into Warcraft, I need to do it rather soonish. On the plus side, I've got quite a lot of money saved away, so technically have the funds with which to do so. On the negative side, I say "technically" because I'm still looking for a new place to live, and all that money is my bond/rent/moving/appliances/emergency savings. And I'm loath to dip into it, even for something as essentially as a PC. So I'm kinda fucked between a rock and a hard place at the moment, and need to really work out my options. But until then, don't expect to see me about ingame. At all.

tl;dr My computer sucks more horse cock than Garrosh, and refuses to download/install 4.0.1 - thus, I am out of game until a PC rebuild, but I don't know when that might be.

On the plus side, Cal has an XBox and a copy of Dragon Age, so I've started playing that. Thusly, I can get a pseudo Illithias fix by slaughtering humans and laughing manically as I throat-fuck ogres with a broadsword. So there's that.
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Tarq

Re: Computer woes.

Postby Tarq » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:00 pm

I had similar patching/installation problems. In the end, I just moved out my interface/WTF, deleted the entire fucking thing, and used the new Cataclysm downloader.
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 pm

I throat-fuck ogres with a broadsword.

Are all men from Australia loud-mouthed braggarts such as yourself?!

Good luck with the PC stuff. I'd offer help, but I'm afraid all i can give you is an old 80 gig hard drive and a broken sound card from 2004. =(

Also, I know you pay more in the long run, but attempting credit with somewhere like Dell might not be a bad thing to try as well. Small monthly payment as opposed to dumping it out all at once.

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:40 am

Alright - I now have a component shopping list. And it's a lot cheaper than I had feared it was going to be. However, it's still a fair chunk of funds, and currently my savings are priority for me finding a new place. So what I'm going to do is wait a week and a half, and if I haven't found a new place by then, thus having to spend money on bond, rent, moving, etc, I shall buy and assemble my new PC.

So essentially, I should be back around the beginning on November. I'll keep you guys updated, and I'm looking forward to getting back online and checking out this whole 4.0 thing.

(PS I've fallen in love with Dragon Age, so it might have me in it's murderous elven embrace for a while. We'll see)

Delion

Postby Delion » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:43 am

Illithias wrote:(PS I've fallen in love with Dragon Age, so it might have me in it's murderous elven embrace for a while. We'll see)

FUCK ZEVRAN. DO IT.
<Fells> I SEE YOU DELIPON
<Fells> YOU'RE A KLITTY

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Delion wrote:
Illithias wrote:(PS I've fallen in love with Dragon Age, so it might have me in it's murderous elven embrace for a while. We'll see)

FUCK ZEVRAN. DO IT.

DONE.

Delion

Postby Delion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:56 pm

Illithias wrote:
Delion wrote:

FUCK ZEVRAN. DO IT.

DONE.

^5
<Fells> YOU'RE A KLITTY

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Delion wrote:
Illithias wrote:
Delion wrote:FUCK ZEVRAN. DO IT.

DONE.

^5

The WFRs need more Zevrans, imoz.

Delion

Postby Delion » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:39 am

Hey, with my quota of gay elf, the WFR's weekly allotment is capped.
<Fells> YOU'RE A KLITTY

Effie

Postby Effie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:00 am

Based on your situation and unwillingness to dip into savings, I can't even guess what budget you do have for a computer, but I was in a similar place a month ago, with a 5 year old laptop that limped at the lowest settings and began randomly shutting down. I ended up building a machine (with help) because I couldn't afford a gaming rig pre-made by anyone like Alienware. I got away with a full system for < $1600 buying at New Egg. It doesn't even blink when playing FFXIV, so it should be just fine for Cataclysm. If you want a list of the bits and pieces, lemme know, I'll post it.

Return to “General”