Vertigo presents: WFR, the Graphic Series

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Illithias

Vertigo presents: WFR, the Graphic Series

Postby Illithias » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm

After a few conversations with some people over GTalk of late, I've had a bit of a thought experiement/scenario; namely, what if the WFR and their stories, associates, history, future, et al, were the subject of a graphic series. Mainly it was to envision how cool it would be to see famous writers' and artists' takes on our characters and stories, but the more I got thinking, the more the "experiement" appealed to me. So I thought I'd see what other "products" or variations others could come up/want to see.

Now, I'm of the opinion the that main "flagship" title of the series would be best written by Scott Lynch, despite not being a "comic writer", for obvious reasons. Due to naught be a respect for the clarity of his work, I'd say art would be handled by Darick Robertson. As stated in the title, I reckon Vertigo would carry the WFR titles.

As Illi is more of a supporting character for most of the time for the Riders, I'd imagine she's have some (half-) face time in the main title, but have her own series centering on her mostly-solo time, a la Wolverine, et al. Art for this side-title would be suitably done by Ben Templesmith.

Certain events would get special treatment; for example, the Scourge Invasion at the beginning of Wrath of the Lich King and subsequent defence of the Pig and Whistle would have it's own four issue trade, guest written by Max Brooks.

Oh, and I'd give up a first-born to see an Ilarra Stormrunner story written and illustrated by Kouta Hirano.

Anyhow. The point of sharing this is to see what other people think; what titles would you want to see, which writers and artists? If you called the shots what would you want to see?
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Tarq

Re: Vertigo presents: WFR, the Graphic Series

Postby Tarq » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 pm

This has percolated on and off in my head for the past, oh, four years? I hadn't got in depth as to authors & artists though - that's a neat approach. Darick Robertson is a great choice for the main artist, especially looking at his recent work on The Boys.

I think that an arc mainly focused on the Wrath of the Lich King expansion would be pretty frigging sweet, starting at the end of the Outlands War with the various veterans returning to Azeroth, and spending some time playing around with Stormwind politics and introducing the group before plunging into the Scourge invasion and subsequent War In the North. Besides Scott Lynch, I think Joe Abercrombie (a known comics enthusiast who's discussed adapting First Law to the graphic page before) would be awesome. Plucking from regular comics writers? I'd love to see Mike Carey's take - particularly on the more supernatural (esp. Scourge/Legion)-oriented stuff, but really I'd read anything the dude writes.

There'd also have to be, of course, a Dispossessed prequel. My nomination for art would be Leonardo Manco, who did a run on Hellblazer with a great eye for shading and darkness that'd play well in that story. And Uthas could write the damn thing himself. :mrgreen:
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Israia

Postby Israia » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Roullette would probably end up being the annoying character who doesn't fit in to the theme of the comics too much, but if they ever covered her backstory it might be worth it.

Israia however would have to be an entirely different pull. I'd see her more in the style of some of the stuff of Yoshitaka Amano's storybooks- one page is his art, the other a small poem-like piece of the story. She's been much too ancillary to WFR proper.

...I couldn't see Callie even showing up in something like that.

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Right. Alex maleev would make a brilliant artist for the series. No Brian M. Bendis or J. Strazknski. I have so much contempt for him, I will not bother to look up his name. I'm a fan of John Romita Jr's art--and I think that fits Old Town, as would Oeming's--but I'm not sure that's perfect for the WFR comic.

i am so out of the loop when it comes to today's writers. I'm just going through northlanders now. That has promise.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Duugvilder

Postby Duugvilder » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:06 pm

My choice of writer would be Mike Carey. The guy did Lucifer and balanced action, intrigue, and general epic...ness(? Epicocity??? Epicisity??? Snookums???) with solid results. It's one of the few Vertigo titles where, start to finish, there's something worth reading for. I don't think Alex Maleev would be a good choice, based on his Daredevil work (which I loved but it doesn't fit what I see the Riders as being). My dream artist(s) is(are) the guy/team behind the Ninja Scroll anime. Failing that, I swing towards Phil Noto, Gary Frank, Kevin Nowlan, Oliver Coipel, Jimmy Cheung, or...Alan Davis. As a matter of fact, Alan Davis is choice #2.

Anyone but Joe Madureira. Fuck that guy. Fuck him in his ear.

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:27 am

Given how Alex Maleev covered Hells kitchen, I think he'd do a brilliant job in bringing the dirty, dingy WFR Old Town to Life.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Return to “General”