Dear Fells...

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Arrens

Dear Fells...

Postby Arrens » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 am

I have found the site for you. Enjoy. http://roleplayerslament.com/

Fells

Re: Dear Fells...

Postby Fells » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

OH MAN. /popcorn

Yva

Postby Yva » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:44 pm

It's funny. I don't like websites like this, but then I'm becoming more cognizant of how shame tactics effect people. And make no mistake, someone IS going to go to that website and get mad and upset that they were humiliated. The answer of "grow a thicker skin" isn't quite fair in that case, because it takes the onus off of the people publicly humiliating others for entertainment and onto the "victims" (though admittedly that word is too strong). What if the RPer is like, 14? Or 15? You don't know shit about the person on the other end of the keyboard, and that's what stops me from jumping on the bandwagon and /mocking or for that matter encouraging sites like this. I don't want my own elitism to scare off some kid who's putting their toe in the water for the first time. If you looked at my first roleplaying character, she was a big fail whale of a Mary Sue and I was 22. If someone pointed that out on a web forum like that? None of you would know me now. I don't' react well to embarrassment, and I'd have just said "Fuck it, rpers are dicks."

RP'ers have traditionally bitched that there's not enough RP on their RP realms, and that PvPers are a bunch of lolzing douchebags. Looking at FM as our example as really, it's what I know . . . the quantity of RP has gone down. To a point I wonder if some of that is because the Elitist Douchebag RP brigade (and that's what I see websites like that as, make no mistake) disheartened them. I think I'd rather have a server full of RPers who RPed "mockworthy stuff" than what we have now, which realistically seems like a 85 non rper to 15 rper split. Bad RPers can get better by seeing others RP in a certain style, and interacting. If they feel like all they're going to get for their efforts is a website dedicated to making them look like fools, well . . . why bother trying.

Gotta love it. "NOT ENOUGH RP" and then the RPers eat their own.

/tangential rant. Apologies.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Arrens

Postby Arrens » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Let's be honest though. There's dicks in /any/ subsect of this game (and society as a whole, but that's too broad a subject for now). There's dicks in PvP, PvE and, yes, RP. Is it right to call them out by name? No, probably not and it's certainly not something I condone or would ever do myself. But I'm perfectly ok with laughing at people. I do it all the time. Hell, I hope most/all of you laugh at me from time to time when I fuck up. On the same token, I would hope that once the laughing is done and my RSP were some crazy, off-the-wall bullshit shown there, you'd all take the time to troutslap my dumbass and say "No, moron. Do this instead."

Of course, this might be 14 years of corporal punishment in Catholic schools talking, but getting whacked in the knuckles with a yardstick is a good reminder not to do something again. Dif'rent strokes and allat.

Yva

Postby Yva » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Arrens wrote:On the same token, I would hope that once the laughing is done and my RSP were some crazy, off-the-wall bullshit shown there, you'd all take the time to troutslap my dumbass and say "No, moron. Do this instead."

That's what sticks in my craw is that they DON'T do that. They aren't trying to improve anyone. It serves no purpose other than making an example of someone for lols. Yes, THE INTERNET IS FULL OF DICKHEADS, I just don't want to support it when it comes to a small community that claims it wants to grow, and yet insists upon tearing others down at the same time.

I didn't mean to threadjack. It's just something I've always felt pretty strongly about. I'll go back to being the meek, softly spoken nerd in the corner now.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Arrens

Postby Arrens » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Yva wrote:I'll go back to being the meek, softly spoken nerd in the corner now.

This implies you've ever been meek or softly spoken. I roll to disbelieve.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

The reason that this is funny is the same reason Wile E. Coyote is such a strangely endearing character.

That's about the best explanation I can come up with.

Kost

Postby Kost » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 am

Personally I love these sites, cause honestly sometimes looking at an utter car wreak makes you pause for a moment and look at your own stuff (old and new) at a good long measure. Sometimes if for anything the fear that could there be something in your own work that would earn the attention of a critic.

Lord knows I look at my god awful RP I used to do on the SW Cantina rooms on AOL and bury my head in my hands, hell, I still do that to all my stuff honestly.
(I totally tapped Boushh, I was young and impressionable and had a thing for playing cat-girls. Point and laugh if required.)

They could offer more ways to improve the profiles, the articles they have are good and I do like that they offer gold stars to good profiles as well (unlike others sites that just put up the profile and snipe the utter crap out of them) but in some of them, they can't be improved except to tear everything back down to the ground floor and pick out the good bricks from the utter tripe. No one wants to hear that their awesome idea is in truth being approached from the wrong angle, or just should be buried out on some lonely back road in the middle of the night and never spoken of again. Believe me, I've heard good criticism and I've heard blunt-ass insensitive 'I don't want to understand your approach so I'm just going to call everything that you do an unimaginative cop-out' and 'The only way I can see you improving your work is by killing yourself.' (<3 DNst for that gem)

Anyhow, half of the those cases, even if the player -was- willing to listen, it would be a lot of work, and some wither at that and instead rely on the long dragging out of getting fed up 'Huff-puff, working as intended, I don't need to change, you just don't appreciate my artistic vision you mule eyed cretin' but in others, sometimes all it does take is a good solid smack upside the head to realize that things need work and that there are people that are willing -to- work with them. And than there are others with moto-bikes and loli fetishes and orc hunters banging their gorilla pets that have been addressed multiple times by multiple people that need to be drowned like a bag of kittens in a rain barrel for the sake of peace of mind. I've wandered up and down that spectrum multiple times.

We were all kids with our stories at one point or another, and yes, it is hard for anyone to 'grow a thick skin' but it's just as hard to swallow whatever pride that was built up to say 'hey, I'm flailing about like a cracked out magicarp, can you help me out?' Some will always be taught, but it's even harder to find someone out there willing to have the patience to teach. =)

And also, the people that snub honest and open attempts at walk ups need to be smacked more often.
Did that make sense? I think I'm keyboard rambling, so, move along, nothing to see here, nothing to see here.
Not being able to govern events, I govern myself.

Denne

Postby Denne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Kost wrote:flailing about like a cracked out magicarp

I nominate this for best simile of the month.

Return to “General”