Website

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Bricu

Website

Postby Bricu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 am

I said this last year, but this year I mean it: I'm building the WFR website. I am going to devote 30min to an hour every day this summer to make it work. Any help and suggestions will be welcome.

By next week, I should have a diagrams and designs for review, as wells as dev. schedule. I have already begun on some CSS work for the Dossiers, and I hope to have some demo content for the dossiers as well.

So far, here are a few of the ideas I have for this:
1) Make the Dossiers a webform to make it easier to add and maintain them.
2) Work with Lore to make sure forum themes coincide with the website color palette.

please feel free to add ideas or ask questions.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Illithias

Re: Website

Postby Illithias » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I can assist with any minimal hands-on coding knowledge I have, but can also give advice from a Google best-practices/online marketing angle, if you want.
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 pm

update 1: I changed the splash page.

http://wildfireriders.com/
--

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Folks: Here is the Dossier Template in CSS and html. I already see one problem (the fonts are too big) but this is what we're gonna use. Please provide feedback on this template.

http://wildfireriders.com/dossierTest.html
--

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Folks: Here is the Dossier Template in CSS and html. I already see one problem (the fonts are too big) but this is what we're gonna use. Please provide feedback on this template.

Please, please provide feedback.

http://wildfireriders.com/dossierTest.html
--

Kyraine

Postby Kyraine » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:41 pm

+2 on the fonts being too big. The rest of it's easy to read. The categories should do a nice job of separating everything out, so there won't be an issue with a run on paragraph. If there's a way to make the box lines a bit thicker, that'll help separate the paragraphs better.

Is there going to be a box on the left and a box on the right of the main part? If so, I'd recommend just having one box, or putting the secret stuff at the bottom. It's hard to read three boxes all in a row like that, at least for me.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Galedorin

Postby Galedorin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:25 am

Font size isn't bad for default, as it helps with reading the Calligrafitti font, so if it's too big you should probably either bold it at 8pt or have it at minimum 10pt.
I don't know what the 'secret stuff' would entail but if it's comments etc. then it should be kept right but have clear delination from the dossier. Left side should be clear/menu/etc.

You've got a line at the top that stretches the entire page, get rid of the "border:" line under your #page definition in the CSS.
The Sl:7 Formal Dossier header class "div.header" has a 2px border while everything else is 1px. Typo or intentional inconsistency? It should be bumped down.

IE has the page off center putting the left side out of view. Firefox shows them both, not sure why at the moment but it looks like something in .leftmargin class is confusing IE.
(Also wow Firefox is handy for checking out code with the Inspect Element feature.)

That's all I can see with it's current iteration, hope it helps!
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:32 am

Gale and Ky--Thanks for the feedback!

Most of the borders are there to show where the boxes are supposed to go. In the final version, they will be removed. Given some of the difficulty of Caligraffiti, I will probably use a better font ...

As for the secret page column: That will show up with a java script button. That column is all for Shaw or Sullivan's notes.

As for IE... I will apply the ie 7 hacks from the template towards the end. I know this may not be best practices...but to be honest, I don't want to do all the ie hacks.
--

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 am

Lore is working on a great theme for the board. So far, its friggin' awesome.
--

Return to “General”