RP Inspiration Collages

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Tarq

RP Inspiration Collages

Postby Tarq » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 am

Cross-posting this from IC Facebook cause, you know, why not?

I had this idea a while back and talking with Marty today reminded me about it. Whip up an image of some characters from fiction who have influenced the creation or development of one of your characters. As many or as few as you want, whatever medium (screenshots, fan art, etc.) seems appropriate. And if you don't recognize a person in someone else's, then ask and give 'em an excuse to babble about the shit that inspires them.

I'll start: the Tarquin inspiration gallery.

Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Loreli

Re: RP Inspiration Collages

Postby Loreli » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm

>.>

"A little extra DPS never killed anyon... Oh wait."
"Still alive, I see. Clearly you're not trying hard enough."

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I actually had trouble doing this, as Chryste was never really directly pulled from anyone, except maybe the top person in the collage there.

That's Toby Wong (as played by Mark Dacascos) in the movie Drive (an old 90s one, not that new crappy one =P) Where he plays a Chinese militant who had a bio-implant installed on his heart that more or less made him superhuman, and he was on the run from a corporation who wanted it back. Super cool movie - and Brittany Murphy's best role, bar none. =P

Conan and Chryste because of the whole vicious fighting style and crappy childhood.

Weapon X23, I never noticed until recently, but she and Chryste have a LOT in common, even down to a lot of the same physical features. Makes me sad I didn't market this before =P.

And Verminaard of Dragonlance Fame - notice a 'children turned into hot killing machines' theme? XD

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm

There are definitely identifiable themes here: as in Lore's list of sexy violence-doers, Chryste's traumatized killing machines, and Tarq's pathologically dishonest dickheads.

Imagine that.

Shaila

Postby Shaila » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:15 am

I made a trio of these!

This is Shaila's. These are inspirations that have popped up over the years that I've been playing her, during which she's changed greatly, explaining how different some of these are from the others. Elements of all of them still exist in her, but to varying degrees.

This is Akeelah's. As you can see, a much more consistent theme.

And finally Shaila's daughter, Jaina. She's inherited a couple of her mother's influences, both of them to greater degrees.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 am

(edited: Changed a couple of Amalay's because I had cooler ideas)

Tarq, who the hell is the dude in the middle, help me I feel so lame. Also I was going to use a certain cold-blooded queen as one of Norvallen's until I realize that the implications towards one of yours would be absolutely horrifying for multiple reasons, so I picked another (nicer) manipulative lady from a book (who's more magical and is harder to kill so it's actually more appropriate), but you get the idea.

Shaila, Jaina is amazing. I demand you roll her and start playing her now. Say she went back in time or some shit, I don't care.

Anyway...first, the character who's effectively Lansiron's heir (in-character even, to some extent) and is for all intents and purposes my main this expansion.

Amalay is an unwashed glaive-bearing warrior with an incredibly indescriminate fighting style, deeply regrettable navigational skills, and the apparent inability to feel pain (and with a severely messed up limb, possibly as a result). But, she will always stand up for her favorite people -- to the death, and repeatedly! -- and she will never back down from her goals, no matter how improbable, unfeasible, or against the law. Vaguely Andean, she's a great helper and a fantastic chef, but she might not be entirely there in the head.

Yet...impossible to ignore and underlying everything is the fact that she's an apparent minor with an utterly ludicrous substance abuse issue.

While those characters weren't directly responsible for Amalay, I can tell you that at some point I did look at them and go, "Oh, hey..."

Not the case for Norvallen, the blame for whom can be set directly at the feet of the following personnages, and should altogether be pretty self-explanatory:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a picture of a Chaos Space Marine with a nice clean silhouette?

Illi: If you're reading this and I don't see Kharn the Betrayer when you do hers, I will be very sad.

Might do Lans later.
Last edited by Lansiron on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Lansiron wrote:Tarq, who the hell is the dude in the middle, help me I feel so lame.

Why, he's everybody's favorite landlord!

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Can't believe I left Xena out of Chryste, considering it used to be my favorite show when I'd religiously watch reruns in my teens. XD Ah well!

Sevrea

Postby Sevrea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:49 pm

This is Sev.

Counterclockwise, starting from the upper left:

Daniel Jackson from Stargate. This is a pic of him while he was ascended, about to fire a beam of light energy at Anubis. He was in way over his head, of course, but he tried anyway, unbalking, just as Sev might be on the peculiarly frequent occasions when she might have been the last one alive in a raid against Magmadar, or Thorim, or somesuch. Once against Leotheras, her additional two seconds of survival actually allowed some old dots to tick over and kill the fellow, but mostly she just was stomped into the ground. As Daniel Jackson was. Repeatedly. He died, like, what, five times? Sev seems to have died a lot too. Sevrea shares with Daniel Jackson what could be called a flaw, in that she tends to focus on one part of a problem and overthink that one angle to the exclusion of a more practical immediate solution, while believing she's enriching everyone by looking at the Big Picture.

Esme "Granny" Weatherwax, from the Discworld. This is actually one that I've only started thinking about recently, but might be inclined to draw from more now that Sev's human again. The "witch" theme, as it stands in the Discworld series anyway, seems to mesh better with humans, in my mind. They're so marvellously practical, sometimes in impractical ways.

Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan, of Farscape. A priest herself, usually calm in the face of danger, and always thoughtful, considering all sides of a conflict.

The Nameless One, of Planescape:Torment. Sevrea was amnesiac for a large portion of her time as a Forsaken, and one of her main enemies was quite similar to one of this guy's. Don't want to provide too much detail here because I'd hate to spoil Torment for people. It's a great game, at least, if you can work the magic necessary to make it compatible with your modern PC, and if you can tolerate 14-year-old game engines.

Ambassador Delenn, of Babylon 5. In her more mature years, she was unflinching in service to light and goodness, even when it was dreadfully impolitic. Also good lord Mira Furlan smiling still gets me. I thought about putting Danielle Rousseau on here too, but two Mira Furlans might be a bit overkill.

Mathiu Silverberg, the original Strategist, from Suikoden I. Not the leader or director of the nation, but the intelligence that allowed the leader's army to overcome overwhelming odds. It is not simply that Mathiu values intelligence, but, on top of that the creative cleverness required to piece together the available elements in the world, leading to victory.

The background is the hell of Annie Collins-Nielsen in What Dreams May Come. This is very similar to the mentally-projected stage where the consciousness that is known as Sevrea encountered the consciousness that is primarily known as Ra'ix, the dalaran spy that infected herself with death plague in an attempt to infiltrate the scourge -- an attempt which failed when the body ended up rising as a Forsaken rather than under the domain of Arthas.

Yva

Postby Yva » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

I know I don't RP anymore, but I felt the need to contribute. <3
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Return to “General”