Possible WoW Spoilers

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Lansiron

Re: Possible WoW Spoilers

Postby Lansiron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:26 am

How would a "civilian" work?

Though I'd like to imagine some of these characters we play are technically that anyway, not belonging to any sort of formal militant/martial group of some kind.

Denne

Postby Denne » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 am

Perhaps civilian isn't the best term. I'd like to be able to roll a character without a class, or a vanilla class without a party function. An NPC class. Able to wield weapons but not learn skills, still able to use and learn professions, perhaps able to pick up a class later on, but not necessarily. Impose a level cap if necessary.

Essentially, a way to roll an RP character without mouseover identifying him or her as a "warrior" or whatnot.

I know it's not practical in that WoW is designed with class being set at character creation, but the first MMO I played had you begin without a class and go through a "trial" a few levels in to determine your class path. The limited ability to carry on without one and simply interact with others instead was somewhat fun,

Galedorin

Postby Galedorin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Denne wrote:I know it's not practical in that WoW is designed with class being set at character creation, but the first MMO I played had you begin without a class and go through a "trial" a few levels in to determine your class path. The limited ability to carry on without one and simply interact with others instead was somewhat fun,

Ah yes, Good ol RO.

I kinda half-expect hal-not expect a new class for the next expansion... Because Death Knights are still rather fresh and I think the tweaking of all the level 90 talents and gear and stuff will take enough time. Though I think a battle mage would be next. I mean, you fought them in Live Strath ages ago... Even though that seems to have been their only iteration.

And Runepriests wouldn't be far off either, concidering what we've seen (in Utgarde) having them as a buff-oriented class. Though that'd throw in another big can of worms, but hey, tis why I don't expect a new class.
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

Denne

Postby Denne » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:37 pm

It wasn't RO, actually. It was Dark Ages (Not DAoC), the last MMO Nexon made before creating Maple Story.

Delion

Postby Delion » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:19 pm

I have my hopes on a Hero Class (if there is going to be a new one at all) that has the ability to heal in some aspect. My wildest dream would be to try another class with more than one healing talent tree, but I'm sure that won't happen. If it does, you know I'm going to gimp myself and be one of the first to master the spec that no one likes or uses.

If its ArchDruid, I... I don't know, I'm not sure I could dig 'druidy' healing, but it could work out to be radically different to the druid class we know (I mean look what they did with DKs, we didn't see any of that coming way back when).

Either way, I'll be the first to try and champion the new healing tree. I glee at the thought of trying this out. I highly doubt there will be any 'Runepriests', but I would be all over that like ants at a picnic. More likely will be ArchDruid or Battlemage (just going with the whole "OMG MAGIC" semi-theme of Northrend).

Personally, I don't think at this stage there will be new races. We already have ten. AND HEY nothing can beat blood elves in my eyes so I don't give a damn if there are!

Lets now imagine the world we'd step into if this assuming and rumouring were true: When we thought 'Northrend' we thought "wtf snow everywhere >:|" and then they gave us Borean Tundra, Zul'drak, Sholazar Basin, HOWLING MFING FJORD, Grizzly Hills - not much snow there.
I can't wait to see what creativity has gone into this Maelstrom. Perhaps a bunch of linked island zones with waterways between, not neccessarily only water but as part of the questlines and environment themselves beneath the waves. There is still room for Undermine. Imagine a central Troll island, the new capital, strung high in the air by a canopy of wild and tropical trees growing from a barely submerged landmass - ropeladders everywhere, flying mounts buzzing, water barges with tradespeople and wares doing slow circuits of the water below. One portion of this world might incorporate swirling vortexes of the edge of the Maelstrom itself. Imagine if the land beneath you ACTUALLY MOVED AROUNDokay that won't happen but COME ON IMAGINE THINGS.

UNGH I CAN'T WAIT FOR CONCEPT ART
<Fells> I SEE YOU DELIPON
<Fells> YOU'RE A KLITTY

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Delion wrote:UNGH I CAN'T WAIT FOR CONCEPT ART

For the first time, Delion and I are aroused by the same thing.

uthas

Postby uthas » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:27 pm

FarSeer imo.
A rhombus is the kind of rectangle a bitch would draw.

Aleros

Postby Aleros » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:03 am

I'd honestly love something like the Dark Age of Camelot Friar class. It was a staff wielding class that was incredibly difficult to level, because they did sub par DPS in groups, couldn't tank well, couldn't heal well, and grouping was about the only way to level. The people who persevered and got a friar to cap KICKED TOTAL ASS in PvP. They were oddly enough a hybrid that worked incredibly well and were badass to boot. I mean some balding guy in a leather robe comes up to a fully plated warrior and totally kicks their ass with a staff. What's not awesome about that.

Anyway, as cool as Arch Druid would be, it would definitely have to be a whole new mechanic. Blizzard did originally say that Arch Druid was their intended second hero class, but I think they were also planning on having two or three hero classes out each expansion, which hasn't happened so far. Blademaster sounds again just like a jazzed up version of another class, the rogue (then again death knight sounded like an upgraded warrior, which it kind of is this patch *cough* ). Far seer is just an upgraded shaman, beast master just an upgraded hunter. I can't really think of any warcraft 3 hero classes that aren't either the wrong race, are faction restricting, or sound like upgrades.

We'll see though. Probably at Blizzcon!
Last edited by Aleros on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fingold

Postby Fingold » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:39 am

I still gots my fingers crossed for Plainsrunning.
Strategery

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Well this is interesting.

Are we getting us some wolf-dudes?

Return to “General”