Possible WoW Spoilers

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Shaila

Re: Possible WoW Spoilers

Postby Shaila » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm

I don't really get the neutral argument, myself. There has certainly been a split of goblins before, as seen in the second war when one of the cartels sided with the Horde. And with the Horde and Alliance being at it again, it seems like the perfect time for that to happen once more.

I'm also not sure if Gilneas is all that neutral about the Horde and Alliance conflict. King Greymane was one of the guys who wanted all the orcs to be killed rather than put in internment camps.

It seems like Gilneas cares mostly that their resources aren't eaten up which...would...actually mean they'd benefit greatly from allying with a profitable neutral race such as the goblins. Hm. Maybe there is something to that.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:39 pm

What Gryphonheart said pretty much echoes my own sentiments.

But, wait...are you sure those smiley-bubbles are sentient?

This opens up an entirely new set of conspiracy theories.

Azshara has been spying on us.

Elyle

Postby Elyle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 am

Lansiron wrote:
Elyle wrote:If worgen or any lawl I'm a werewolf race becomes playable, it'll just be one more thing pushing me towards quitting.

How is "lawl I'm a werewolf" any worse than "lawl I'm a minotaur", "lawl I'm an elven subrace", "lawl I'm a zombie", or hell, "lawl I'm a wizard"?

I like to try and not feed the White Wolf rejects as much as possible. I think it's a fairly terrible idea and quite frankly WoW doesn't need anymore races. One of the great things about WoW is it's relative simplicity. The more race/class combinations you add the harder it is to balance and make sure everyone gets their fair shake.

Also no pandas, fuck that noise.
Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 am

Elyle wrote:
I like to try and not feed the White Wolf rejects as much as possible.

Because somewhere out there there's an annoying fandom for nigh unto everything, it's not much of a reason to dismiss an idea.

Elyle

Postby Elyle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Ok, I just think it's dumb. I think the whole idea of wolf people is stupid.

Right now, I can ignore the lulz i'mawerewolf jackasses. But if blizz makes a worgen a player race I can't anymore, I have to accept that stupid RP as canon. And quite frankly? I don't want to.

My other point is more valid. Every new layer of race/class combo makes it exponentially harder to balance everything. WoW is great in it's simplicity. I'd be totally fine with the existing races instead of shoehorning some random shit in there for the slobbering masses.
Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this.

Elyle

Postby Elyle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Just to clarify since grizz had to ask, I am not trying to troll this thread. I do not troll guildies. I just cannot find the words to express how dumb I think the idea is.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

In terms of "lore", I say since the Warcraft setting plays so very fast and loose with every imaginable fantasy trope/cliche to begin with, having done this nearly since the franchise was conceived, in a manner almost entirely heedless of consistency and only concerned with making sure the answer is "Yes" to "Is this Awesome?", why not throw in some lycanthrope-types as a more prominent element?

If it was something like this in like, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, or any given D&D setting, I might have a problem, but I'm well beyond worrying about this stuff here. Anytime something new gets introduced to World of Warcraft, all I worry about is that some effort is made to back up it's introduction with some kind of storytelling, and, more importantly, that it adds a badass element both visually and gameplay-wise.

I guess after following it for so long and seeing the general record of retcons and conflicts, I can only take such a glass-half-full view on it. Azeroth isn't meant to be "deep". I say, enjoy it for the kitchen-sink-of-nonsense that it is. :)

We can sure as hell spin a whole new plot angle out of whole cloth and the tiniest of hooks. Why shouldn't the actual writers of it do the same?

Also, I'm gonna get up on a pedestal now and say this in nice big bold letters, since I'm kind of feeling it at the moment:

Do bad RP'ers exist? Yes. Do we play with them? No. Do they want to play with us? Maybe, but we'll sure as hell set them straight before we let 'em in. Dismissing a perfectly legitimate idea just because someone lame also happens to like it is silly. We separate ourselves from that which we don't like anyway, because we know where our tastes lie--and bless us for that. <3

Another edit: That said, everyone's opinion shall still remain their own, to which they are welcome.

Denne

Postby Denne » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:01 pm

I think the entire worgen story is something that deserves to be fleshed out into a full story rather than the bits and pieces we have of it at present. I'd welcome a reason to explore the true origins of the Scythe of Elune, and having a tribe of people inflicted with its curse but (potentially?) combating it to the degree where they can function with a degree of humanity retained may be the perfect vessel for it.

Varenna

Postby Varenna » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:09 pm

I think werewolves are awesome.
Personal isn't the same as important.

Eithriel

Postby Eithriel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Is this where I mention I'm gonna have to sign an NDA after heading to BlizzCon this year?

Bwahahahahah!

Return to “General”