Create-a-Rider

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Aleros

Re: Create-a-Rider

Postby Aleros » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Aleros

Postby Aleros » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Hey Sugar
Lookin Good
Hey Seylon, when did you grow a mane, claws, and convenient high heel claws?

These are the Asmodians. How lore goes for this world is this. A long time ago people lived in harmony together. Some 2000 years ago or some ridiculous number a great catastrophe happened that made the world look like a giant apple with a teeny tiny core. Living on the bottom half of this mostly eaten apple are the Elyos, they are the light faction as they were bathed in light for the last 2,000 years, and mostly have white skin and all their wings are some light color. Living in the top half are the Asmodians and they were bathed in cold darkness for these 2,000 years. While they were originally the same race, harsh conditions made the Asmodians more animalistic with darker skin and claws, better night vision, etc. Oh they also have black wings. Apparently their meager mane is for keeping them warm. I'm just kind of thinking it was for people who wanted to play characters with tails. Also a big wtf to the convenient high-heel-claw. But anyway, apparently the Elyos being bathed in light made them all pretty and elven like instead of giving them very dark tanned skin. So there you have the two factions.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Aleros wrote:The quests are a little bit grindy after 20... i.e. go kill 20 of this thing and 20 of this thing and come back to me and this and that thing are kind of hard to find. But I have yet to run out of quests to be honest, and PVP levels are separate from PvE ones. My only complaint is that it's incredibly linear. There is no variation among the factions. Everyone does the same quests are it's a funnel to level 50 instead of having a wide variety of zones to pick from. Although at level 20 I did find that there were two zones with the same level quests, and it's probably possible to do one zone and not touch the other and still get to the next tier of zone just fine. 1-20 is a funnel though. I found out the reason they make asian games this way. The asian crowd likes to game in big groups in grottos or net cafes and that's how they hang out. Where most other cultures live too far apart to really get together, and we just get together every few nights. That's why the grind MMO has become sort of the standard for asian MMOs. They seem to have made it ungrindy enough though for the American audience.

Putting it that way, it actually kind of makes sense like that. It's an interesting cultural dichotomy (or some other smart-sounding word). Though it's also interesting to note how well China (sort of) takes to World of Wacraft, with it's hugely free-form-do-your-own-thing style in most of it's aspects.

At any rate, try doing one of these for Norvallen (ref. more or less http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... t/Mary.jpg )

Challenge: Make her actually look like a slightly aged woman (35-40 range), if that character creator even allows for that. Good lord, jailbait Genise and Seylon. o_o

Aleros

Postby Aleros » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Aging women is hard, although it's not hard for men. The one thing this character gen lacks is an age slider, although that may be because your character is an immortal.

Body Shot
Close up
Did I mention you can make a Draenei?

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Wow, complete with dramatic sexual dimorphism, too!

Also, crank Mary's height up to like, max. I had her at about 6'4".

I think, looking back, I remember actually reading about this MMO years ago; ain't this the thing where you have your "light" guys and "dark" guys and they've all got wings and look super-pretty, and they fight each other for the collective entertainment of all?

One thing that gets me about the look of characters there; the Asian-style art direction is extremely evident, but it's a far step up from earlier games like Lineage II or Grenado Espada (or whatever that was called). The result is, I get this kind of "uncanny valley" effect from those characters. The polish is extremely lifelike, but they've still got those stylized features.

I'd be interested in knowing if somewhere they were actually going for that intentionally (even if the art directors didn't publicly make it their intent), as the races are pretty clearly meant to be highly non-human.

How's the environment to this game look?

Aleros

Postby Aleros » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:46 pm

The slider thing is relative I'd suppose, I'd put the max height setting at 9 feet tall for guys and 7 for women. But again I think it's all relative to the viewer. You see some warriors with every single size slider turned all the way up and they look like a self contained fortress in plate. You see little mage girls about 2 feet tall running around, but their boob slider is turned all the way up, waist all the way down and hips all the way up.

Again it's an asian MMO, so the environment is gorgeous, I'd rate the capital city as the top, even the little settlements and towns are more like giant elaborate floating fortresses and such. It's high asian fantasy genre, where instead of humble knights and rogue wizards, everything is over-the-top. That's just the style you get with asian MMO's. If you were to try to RP in this game, you'd automatically be an immortal with wings who's destiny is to save the entire world just through the story quest setup. That's before you add any eyes changing color with mood (the Asmodians's eyes are actually supposed to glow red when "angered" but it's really just when they're in combat).

A good bit of Mary Sue comes from other sources, but I'd say the great majority of it comes from asian games, MMOs and anime influence. Much like in LotRO, there are three types of quests. Main story quests, regular quests, and crafting quests. The main story quests in Aion almost always end each major segment (there's one segment of the story quest per zone) that ends in a cinematic scene where your character is surrounded by a large cheering crowd because you just saved the settlement/zone/city or in the case of level 10, you become an immortal and get your wings in a large knighting-like ceremony. It's like in WoW where if you're exalted with a certain faction the NPCs talk about what a great hero you are, only it happens everywhere. That's what I've experienced with most Asian MMOs with any sort of questing system. It plays like a single player game in that you are the hero, but it's hard to believe when there are thousands of people around you and you know they're doing the same quests.

Return to “General”