Herbal Use Compendium (moved!)

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Aelflaed

Herbal Use Compendium (moved!)

Postby Aelflaed » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:00 am

((Going to need it in some upcoming stuff, so it gets the ol' move-it-boot over to the new forums! I've tacked the new Northrend herbs onto the end as well))

Originally posted by Aleros:

It's come up, and I've been meaning to do it for awhile but just never gotten around to it, an IC use for each of the herbs, and possible combinations of herbs. What are their real life equivalents? In what situation would you use them. I'd like ideas from everyone here. If you see an herb that doesn't have suggested uses, try to fill it in. I'm going to leave them mostly blank for starter, cause I'd like to see what other people come up with before adding ones I've thought up. I do have a few examples though. (anything in bold is already canon)

[Peacebloom] - Mild Pain Killer, not very strong. Think Chamomile, can be made into a tea.

[Silverleaf] - A mint flavoring.

[Earthroot] - Birth control, eat or make into a tea.

[Mageroyal] - Used in soaps and perfumes as a scent. (Alishe)

[Swiftthistle] - A chemical that is highly addicting and has been known to cause headaches can be extracted from this plant. It provides both short term and long term energy boosts. This same chemical is found in many other plants but in small amounts. The amount in this plant is enough so that this plant is almost solely used for the extraction of this chemical. I give you caffeine.

[Bloodthistle] - A cousin to Swiftthistle. It is also addicting, but in a different way. It has mild euphoric properties and can be made into a tea, but is very bitter with an iron taste. Among blood elves, it is addicting as it can temporarily sate their addiction for magic, although it does not possess any magic itself as far as any studies have shown.

[Briarthorn] - Blood thinner, opposite of Bruiseweed, good for heart troubles. Can cause hemorrhaging if overused. (Aelflaed)

[Stranglekelp] - Used for its oil, greasing and the base for perfumes. Scentless oil (for massages mostly).

[Bruiseweed] - Constricts blood vessels, good for the prevention of bruising and slowing excessive bleeding. (Aelflaed)

[Wild Steelbloom] - When distilled, a topical antiseptic/astringent (it even *looks* like witch hazel). Crushed leaves can be applied to a wound to prevent infection, but this sucker *stings*. (Aelflaed)

[Grave Moss] - Used as a binder, promotes regrowth of dead tissue and can even help to regrow bone. Often combined with other herbs for various effects.

[Kingsblood]

[Liferoot] - When mixed in a salve with Wintersbite and Peacebloom, an effective sunburn treatment/topical pain reliever. (Aelflaed)

[Fadeleaf] - An irritant, formerly used in blinding powder, probably now sold in prank shops as "itching powder". (Tarquin)

[Goldthorn] - Stimulant that counteracts Dreamfoil. (Threnn) General painkiller and anti inflammatory, basis for teas and infusions. (Aelflaed)

[Khadgar's Whisker] - Unlike in the real world, we here in Azeroth have an herb with magical properties to revitalize and regrow hair follicles. Wonder why that undead that was bald last week suddenly has a full head of hair? Khadgar's Whisker is the answer. Mix with some lotion or a Stranglekelp oil and apply to head, hair grows back overnight. Commonly found at Goblin barber shops.

[Wintersbite] - For cooling, in salves. A good treatment for burns. (Aelflaed)

[Firebloom] - A spice, think red pepper.

[Purple Lotus] - An antibiotic, just strong enough to kill off those bad bacteria in your system. Be sure to take probiotics with it or you might find yourself feeling more sick, even though you're getting better.

[Wildvine] A plant used primarily for making clothing dyes. Generally produces a greenish color, but when combined with other herbs, can produce a vivid pink or purple. (Ovistine)

[Arthas' Tears] - It is said that wherever the prince of Menethil shed a tear, one of these plants grew. It is innocuous to mortal races, but is highly toxic and even seems to posses some magical powers against undead and demons.

[Sungrass] - Smells mildly lemony. A decent additive to teas to make them palatable. Rumored to have insect repellent qualities when ground and mixed into a lotion... but it doesn't really work. (Aelflaed)

[Blindweed] - Oddly enough, this herb has nothing to do with its name. It is used as an enhancer for the mind, quickening and wit as well as logic and reasoning.

[Ghost Mushroom] - Hallucinogen, think 'shrooms. When mixed properly with Gromsblood and Goldthorn it sends the person into a bloodlust battle frenzy. This use was most commonly used among early human tribes and trolls.

[Gromsblood] - Stimulant, increases heart rate, energy, blood flow, as well as brain activity, most commonly used as a sexual enhancer and to keep the blood warm when it's cold.

[Golden Sansam]

[Dreamfoil] - Sedative, deadly in large doses. (Threnn)

[Mountain Silversage] - Silversage oil.

[Plaguebloom] - Highly resilient to the plague itself, it's mostly used not to cure the plague, but to delay it in a subject.

[Icecap] - Fever reducer, when mixed with other pain killers it makes a good general cold and flu medicine. (Aelflaed)

[Black Lotus] - An azerothian catalyst that acts as a universal agonist for other substances, greatly enhancing their method of action.

[Bloodvine] - While its oils are highly acidic, and thus should only be gathered using specialized equipment, in even low volumes it can be used by various professions in the crafting of armor. Specifically, when heated, its secretions work as a purifying agent, stripping impurities out of animal hides and metal ores alike.

[Felweed] - Powerful pain killer to the point that it impairs the mind and many sensory functions. Not addicting to smoke or eat, but can easily get the imbiber "high". When mixed with other herbs, the properties of the felweed can easily give way to making the effects of other herbs more potent. Yes folks this is the marijuana of Warcraft.

[Dreaming Glory] - Many uses having to do with dreams. Most often made into tea for pleasant sleep and dreams. The stem is good for headaches. (Threnn)

[Ragveil]

[Flame Cap]

[Terocone] - Large amounts of energy, commonly used in energy shots for those all nighters. It cannot be used on long trips as a substitute for real energy giving food, it's just a drug that makes your brain give you more energy.

[Ancient Lichen]

[Netherbloom]

[Nightmare Vine] - Many uses having to do with dreams, the opposite of dreaming glory. Will cause night sweats, nightmares, and sometimes terrors when used right. There are several other unknown uses...

[Mana Thistle]

[Fel Lotus] - Poisonous and potentially deadly even in the smallest amounts. It is an extreme enhancer for other herbs, bringing out stronger and new uses for them. Note that stronger does not always mean better for whatever you are treating.

[Goldclover]

[Tiger Lily]

[Talendra's Rose]

[Deadnettle]

[Constrictor Grass]

[Adder's Tongue]

[Lichbloom]

[Icethorn]

[Frost Lotus]
Last edited by Aelflaed on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking

Ovistine

Re: Herbal Use Compendium (moved!)

Postby Ovistine » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Wildvine: A plant used primarily for making clothing dyes. Generally produces a greenish color, but when combined with other herbs, can produce a vivid pink or purple.

(It's mainly a tailoring/leatherworking herb, seems like, so I thought a dye would be appropriate! Very fun thread!)

Aleros

Postby Aleros » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 am

Deadnettle - Crushed and used for incenses.

Talandra's Rose - Most commonly used as a potpourri scent, herbal use for healthy strong skin.

Bellesta

Postby Bellesta » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Bump. Gonna be needing this in future RP.

Aelflaed

Postby Aelflaed » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Maybe we can sticky this? I look for it pretty frequently.
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking

Itanya_blade

Postby Itanya_blade » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm

I would still disagree with the description of bloodthistle.

Threnn
Site Admin

Postby Threnn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:19 pm

stickified!

Yva

Postby Yva » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Itanya_blade wrote:I would still disagree with the description of bloodthistle.

So propose another one?
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Itanya_blade wrote:I would still disagree with the description of bloodthistle.

I dunno, the description from WoW Wiki screams addiction to me:

Bloodthistle is a herb native to Eversong Woods. It grows in and around centers of blood elf magical activity (i.e. near buildings). It can be used by blood elves to get a +10 to their spell power. No other races are able to consume the herb. After the buff fades, the consumer of the Bloodthistle will be afflicted with Bloodthistle Withdrawal for 20 minutes, which reduces Spirit by 5 from the lack of Bloodthistle. The buff stacks with all other buffs. The debuff can be cured by consuming more Bloodthistle (which delays the withdrawal), casting Ice Block or popping up a Bubble.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Itanya_blade

Postby Itanya_blade » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

1) I believe I did propose some additions to it on the old forum, but I don't have the old foum bookmarked at work to check. I can't remember if I made the case on the forum or through talking.

2) My issue was not with it being addictive (that would be silly, since both Kel and Dorri are thistleheads) but rather with it having mild caffiene as its main effect. I believe I said that it had mild euphoric properties, which could explain why it could help soothe the harsh edge of magic addiction.

Return to “General”