Graphics Cards

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Bellesta

Graphics Cards

Postby Bellesta » Fri May 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Hey folks,

Looking to get a new graphics card for this computer in the next 3-4 months-ish. Preferably before next semester starts and I really begin using it.

Things I would like out of it:

- I'd like it to be a 2 gig card. Willing to wait until those go down in price / are more stable.
- ATI vs Nvidia- I've always liked my ATI cards. Not too happy with the Nvidia I have in my PC right now. Curious what others think.
- I'm not planning to overclock.
- I don't like heat and overheating.
- Running a 700w power supply right now... willing to look at upgrading for a better card.

The most I will be taxing this thing will likely be in Maya3D or Aftereffects CS4. I need it to last me throughout school, so early burnouts are bad.

Anyone got a good one to recommend? Likely gonna buy it from Newegg, but willing to look at other places with competitive prices.

Chrystenise

Re: Graphics Cards

Postby Chrystenise » Fri May 07, 2010 2:25 pm

You won't need to upgrade the supply, imo.

My Alienware has dual 1.7gig nVidias, and they upgraded me to a 700w to hold it.The 2gig ATI they had on offer also used the 700 watt, and that's wh all sorts of other things in my PC.

I'm personally an nVidia fan myself, but for no real reason than I've always had a good experience, and my only ATI ever was in my first pc with a card.

I personally have no idea what to suggest for you though,I suck at technical thingymajiggers.

Yva

Postby Yva » Fri May 07, 2010 5:12 pm

I got two faulty ati cards /in a row/. WOuld strongly recommend NVidia over ATI. -_-
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Bellesta

Postby Bellesta » Fri May 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Really? I've always has the opposite. NVidia cards failing and ATI ones lasting.

Fingold

Postby Fingold » Fri May 07, 2010 5:43 pm

The only thing I feel qualified to contribute is that it is my understanding that when going nV, it does matter what manufacturer you choose. I remember being told BFG was pretty good, and in my limited experience, XFX turned out to be pretty good too.

Not sure if this has anything to do with your experiences with nVidia.
Strategery

Return to “General”