Cataclysm Jump

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Bricu

Cataclysm Jump

Postby Bricu » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:09 pm

As Loche pointed out in a Forum post, there is going to be some kind of a timeline jump in Cataclysm. It looks to be about one year from the Death of Arthas to the Cataclysm (I've seen that a NPC at Hyjal said 10 years ,but I find that difficult to believe. I also don't remember what that NPC said to Bricu). Given this downtime, how do your toons spend their time jump break?
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Chrystenise

Re: Cataclysm Jump

Postby Chrystenise » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Ugh, I'm honestly not so sure I'm okay with the idea of forcing a year of meta time spent into my characters. Blizzard has always had screwy time in relation to irl time, however, so I'm not quite so sure if a year jump with my characters is something I'll embrace, or if I'll keep chugging along as I have with comic book time.

Kyraine

Postby Kyraine » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:58 pm

I saw a post that said the jump would be small, that the NPC means 10 years from the Battle of Mount Hyjal in WC3. So our jump between Wrath and Cata makes a year sound about right.

There's some storylines I have going on with Kyraine that will have to be handled out of game if they're not resolved by the time I'm standing in line at midnight to get my hands on the xpack. Handling a sudden year jump in time, when your characters are going to be busy with their lives is going to take some flexibility. Since most people are going with Ruby Sanctum coming out as when Arthas died, if we count real time from that it could wind up being less than a year. Maybe. I'm confused, so I think I'll go to my old standby, just winging it if it comes up IC and whispering the other player if it's a storyline issue. :lol:
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Something mentioned today too when talking with Izzy about this:

The opportunity to kill Arthas has been out for several months now. I know we have our own timeline here in our rp, but going with BLizzard's account of things, it's possibly been well over half a year already since Arthas' death, so the jump may be even smaller than we might think.

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:32 pm

I would guess that the jump is between 6 months and 1 year. Given that--and a lot of flexibility--I figure the following occurs:

1) The house in Red Ridge is finished.
2) Naiara learns a boat load of new words, and head butts someone new.
3) Bricu starts teaching at the Stormwind University Extension (or whatever that slacker Arrens is going to call the k-12 school)

with more ideas to follow.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Aelflaed

Postby Aelflaed » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm seriously not OK with a "timeline jump" to Cataclysm, because right now that means Arrens and Aely just magically waited another year to get married - which doesn't really make any sense at all. Their wedding is to be this fall, whenever Cataclysm launches, and the story is already kind of in place for how that will happen.
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking

Bellesta

Postby Bellesta » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:01 pm

I actually really like the timejump idea, funny enough. But I think that's because it fits -really- well with my RP.

During the timejump, Adel will:

1) Settle into married life with Dravir.
2) Get her shop back up to what it used to be, business in luxury does much better in non-wartime.
3) Have the time she needs to get past all the drama with Tif and have a fully productive, healthy friendship with him again.
4) Ignore her mounting debt from her stupid island purchase, just in time for it to be destroyed by Cata :D

Like Gabby said though, people who aren't okay with it can just chug along with comicbook time. I imagine some people going with the timejump and some not isn't going to hurt any RP overall.

Yva

Postby Yva » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Comic book time sorta works for me. I want Yva massively preggo when Cata hits. Honestly, what Bell said is prolly gonna be on the money: no one's time jump rp should really fuck with anyone else. I doubt anyone's gonna have MASSIVE OMG storylines going on RIGHT as Cata hits. I think Cata WILL BE that big storyline for everyone.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Fells

Postby Fells » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Yeah I'm not cool with jumping a year. Someone brought out that the time "jump" pretty much coincided with the four years since WoW was released. Ingame hasn't evolved, but we've pretty much been playing out things in real-ish time. I don't see a need for us to catch up with time - it sounds more like time's just catching up with the rest of us.

Shaurria

Postby Shaurria » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:52 pm

The only thing I had planned was getting Arvoss and Davoss reunited and the ensuing dramaz settled down, which can happen either in-game or outside it without much difficulty. Other than that? I'm just winging it.
Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain

Return to “Roleplay”