OOC RP Discussion - Resuscitate/Revive

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Aelflaed

Re: OOC RP Discussion - Resuscitate/Revive

Postby Aelflaed » Fri May 25, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm very open to opening up ExileIC - we have /guild for other stuff, and that channel has been woefully quiet for awhile now. Fresh meat and all that. I'm willing to do some publicity on the blog as well, if we open up a website (which I also think is a cool idea, and would be open to helping with, but possibility of my being a flake remains high. I could probably moderate on my phone though.). I think there's probably a lot of opportunity if we start bringing in people from PerfidyChat as well, since that channel seems to still be decently populated, if quiet. I think if we have some hooks that people can use with their characters, it'll open things up again. (Also, now is a great time to get these balls rolling, since with Mists we'll see new people coming back again, and it'll be good to have all this set up first)

I also like the idea of trolling around Stormwind - especially because, like pub night, we don't all have to be there at the same time. Since my evenings end early, public but open RP is a good way for me to participate. I'll likely be around tonight as well, and can stay a little later too, because weekend. I'm willing to spearhead some of this, especially if we want to do something out in the open. Angoleth likes fishing, and fishing and drinking and bullshitting all go well together, so that might be one option. Fountain is another. So is Recluse, where I've done a little RP with Aely recently too.
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking

Gryphonheart

Postby Gryphonheart » Tue May 29, 2012 4:06 pm

I really wanted to reply to this sooner, but weekend plans got in the way. Anyway, some thoughts from an outside perspective:

Part of the reason why RP seems like it needs to be resuscitated/revived is that is gone and hidden itself away out of the public eye to avoid griefers. I do not think the solution to this is to make more places outside of the game world for it to hide. Even Feathermoon.net, while it was great while it lasted, only really served to isolate RP further by drawing people away from communal spaces with the allure of a secluded safe space to RP. While a website seems like a good idea, I think those efforts would be better directed at existing spaces on the web (such as the official realm forums) to make sure that it's as easy to find as possible. RPers who are out of the loop aren't going to magically discover Feathermap, since chances are they'll be looking for RP in-game or through friends or via official channels rather than Googling "Feathermoon RP sites" (or something similar). People considering transferring to Feathermoon will probably check out the official realm forums, too, so that seems to me like the best place to start.

I think the same thing applies to the ExileIC channel. Yeah, it may have years of history and a lot of meaning to those of you who know about it and use it regularly, but when I think "RP channels" I do not instantly think of ExileIC any more than the vast majority of current players who think "Horde PvP dominance" still think of Low Red Moon rather than Tol Barad. Instead of turning it into a global RP channel, I think it would be better just to create a new channel called GlobalRP or AllianceIC or something similar that is easy to remember and fairly easy to discover. Plus, that way you don't have to deal with people who are wondering why you're trying to exile in-characterness. :P

As for the Recluse, I think going there to try to get other RPers' and RP groups' buy-in to the RP revival idea is definitely a good thing, though ultimately I think a successful resuscitation would require a shift towards RPing openly in the Dwarven and Trade Districts, since that's where most players are right now.

That said, I absolutely think that bringing back public RP is a noble goal, and I'll do what I can to help with that. I've mostly stopped RPing (for various reasons), but I'll happily try to pick it up again for public outings and whatnot.
My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on the limb. All I remember is thinking I want to be like them.
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little, it looked like fun—And it's no coincidence I've come...And I can die when I'm done

Duerma

Postby Duerma » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm

There was a great article about this a few weeks ago on WoW Insider. Worth a read for this discussion.

Anyway!

-RPing around town - probably the #1 thing that will help new RPers. I'm not sure I should be telling your guild where's best to go, but Aely's fishing idea is really good. If you do fishing on the dock with the fishing quest giver or the one across from the portal island, you'll be super visible. There's also the tavern in the dwarf district if you want to be really in-your-face about it. The Blue Recluse is great too, though in more of a "interact with RPers we've never met before" way than a "let people know there's still RP on this server" way.

-Guild Alliances - yes, yes, yes. It's been awesome seeing Riders show up to Rose meetings & storytelling nights. In my personal experience, guild alliances have been crucial for maintaining my interest in RP. Not all characters are going to be perfect fits for a single guild - characters that fit well with the Riders might not fit the Rose, and someone who's a poor fit for the Rose or the Riders might be perfect for Grim Coalition. Being able to have larger events and communication as a whole to get to know more people, while being able to maintain the unique goals and character of our individual guilds, really helps RP bloom. This is one reason I've been all over the IC Facebook this last year.

-Elitism - This is kind of a sticky subject. I think it's possible to give everyone a chance, but like I mentioned, not everyone is a good fit for you personally or you as a guild. I think it also kind of hinges on how much communication each party is willing to do. Just dropping someone without a word or ignoring them? Probably not cool. But on the other hand, offering suggestions can be seen as "OMGZOR STOP TELLING ME HOW TO PLAY AND STIFLING MY CREATIVITY." So I don't know.

-Websites - We just had a discussion about this a few weeks ago on Facebook. It would be cool to have a website to point people toward, beyond just Facebook or guild websites or whatever, and I'm sorry that Feathermoon.net failed so hard under my care. :( Thing is, though, people aren't going to know about it unless we tell them. I suppose it would help encourage people that already RP to RP more, but I'm not sure that it would necessarily revive RP beyond its current state.

-ExileIC/other chat channels - These have the same problem that websites do. They can encourage retention of RPers, but not finding them in the first place.

PS:
Tarq wrote:Of course, my playtime is gonna remain limited. But I can certainly contribute when I'm around, and get the word out in other avenues as well. I'm (gulp) actually considering joining the IC Facebook thing.

ONE OF US. Seriously, I loved it this last year because it's quicker than forum RP (since statuses/comments are just a sentence or two) but slower than chatroom/in-game/real-time RP. I've met & RPed with a lot of characters - both Horde & Alliance - that I probably never would have if I was just wandering about in-game. It's really revitalized roleplay for me.</evangelist>

Itanya_blade

Postby Itanya_blade » Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 pm

I do like the IC facebook. It lets me keep in touch both in character and out of character with people I don't get to see that much. (i.e. Corri and I actually poke each other more regularly)

I've been reluctant to say anything, because no matter what I might think of the ideas, my focus is going to be Hordeside. Not that I hate you guys, well that Bricu guy's a jerk, but that's where my heart is.

About IC chat channels. I personally HATE them. I've spent far too much being brushed off or lost in the mad shuffle. I left most of the ones I was in, in vanilla. I am currently in two, one is ExileIC (because the majority of my Aside toons are not in the Riders) and the Boomstick Friends IC chat channel (Because well... I always have been). I prefer to be "face to face" when RPing. but I am also ornery and contrary, so take all that with a grain of salt.

I think it is a great idea, but I don't want to commit to something I won't be as militant with following through as I should, because my heart is elsewhere.

Now, if you all want to move hordeside, we'll talk. ;)

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Some interesting stuff to chew on. I like the idea of hitting up the Golden Keg - maybe have a "business meeting" with some Rosies there, if any are to be found? Or come up with some other preamble to just have fun public RP there.

I may or may not be around this Thursday, as Jazari is in town and I have an opportunity to get drunk and make fun of him. But I'll make time for RP Friday if necessary.
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Kyraine

Postby Kyraine » Wed May 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Another point towards walking around town and in /say RP- they just listed our battlegroup as the go-to servers for new players. I don't know if that'll bring tons of new folks to Feathermoon or not, but it is something to consider.

I also joined IC facebook. More RP ftw. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kyraine on Wed May 30, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Aelflaed

Postby Aelflaed » Wed May 30, 2012 3:48 pm

I'll start then. I'll be around tonight from 6-7 server for RP. We can do a lot of talking, but I'd like to see some doing as well.

I don't know if more people came to pub night after I left, but it was pretty quiet while I was there, so maybe we need to consider changing nights, knowing that SOMEONE will not be able to make ANY night we pick. But if Tuesdays don't work for people anymore, we don't do ourselves any favors by sticking only to Tuesday's because "that's just when we RP". Weeknights are tough for me, so maybe it's that people are just around later than I'm there? Input needed.

Like the idea of using the Feathermoon Forums again - there are actually some RPers who still kick around there, so the stage is already set. I may post my next story there (Aelys squire taking his vows) - maybe others of us can do the same.

As for Facebook, is there an easy way to maintain two logins, particularly mobile? I don't want to join the Rp community with my real life name, but I have used Facebook more for connecting with other people lately, so I'd rather not quit using it altogether.
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking

Loreli

Postby Loreli » Wed May 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm going to try and touch on all the points mentioned so far so if I miss one, I apologize.

By guild alliances I mean working with other guilds. Orchestrate story lines, encourage cross guild RP etc. (A lot of this is probably my fault, but I had no idea where the Roses met or if others were allowed to drop in until I went with Tarq one night) Getting the word out etc. Directing RPers who may not fit with our guilds to one of the guilds they would fit in. That sort of thing.

On elitism: this might be a whole 'nother can of worms, so I don't want to derail things too much. I will only say that over the years I have become highly skeptical towards claims of elitism, which are often tossed around as shorthand for "I want your community to cater to me!" I believe that as long as we are making an honest effort to be inclusive and have fun, we should absolutely not feel bad about having to tell people "Y'know, this RP really isn't working out for me what with you being a time-travelling cyborg/King of Ghouls/gross over-sexualized woman-child/whatever the fuck Alkyz was." It's our time and $15, and while it doesn't outweigh anyone else's, we have the right to do what we want and that includes not participating in things we don't find enjoyable.

This, 100 times this. I want us to be willing to give people a chance, but also not to be scared to step away if something isn't working out. If you have a problem and you don't feel you can extract yourself you're more than welcome to call me in to help. I'm sure other will step up and volunteer as well. I did a lot of moderator work back in the day so I hope I can handle these things with grace and understanding. Wishing for quality or at least like-mindedness in your RP is not elitism. We WILL run into this. I know we will. We just have to be ready for it.

I see a lot of people speaking in favor of getting out into the city. I ALL FOR hitting up Trade/Dwarven etc and just hanging out RPing. BEING SEEN. That's how we get people to join in. if you're not running Flag or MyRP or something to that effect, I'd like to strongly suggest you do. RP flags are a great way to say "Hi, I'm an RPer". I personally am ALWAYS up for RP if I'm in game. I can only think of a few dire situations where I'd turn away RP. I know not everyone is like this but I have no problem bullshitting in trade or other high population areas.

-Websites - We just had a discussion about this a few weeks ago on Facebook. It would be cool to have a website to point people toward, beyond just Facebook or guild websites or whatever, and I'm sorry that Feathermoon.net failed so hard under my care. Thing is, though, people aren't going to know about it unless we tell them. I suppose it would help encourage people that already RP to RP more, but I'm not sure that it would necessarily revive RP beyond its current state.

That's the other thing though. I'm not just hoping to bring in new RPers, I'm trying to 'wake-up" old RPers who may have taken a break for some reason or gives people who feel out of the loop a way to get back in. I might be over inflating my sense of self worth here, but I'd like to think I'm doing this just as much for you guys as I am for new RPers looking for a home.

(Pill- I would love to do more RP Horde side, just sayin' :D )

I could be talked into the IC Facebook thing I think... still fighting Facebook in general >.>
"A little extra DPS never killed anyon... Oh wait."
"Still alive, I see. Clearly you're not trying hard enough."

Itanya_blade

Postby Itanya_blade » Wed May 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Yeah, we're working on that Lore. But you've already seen part of what we are doing.

Anna, I actually use two different browsers for my facebook. (Firefox for my real facebook and chrome for Dorri's)

Shaurria

Postby Shaurria » Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 pm

How did I never learn of this IC Facebook?? :o
Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain

Return to “Roleplay”