Summit!

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Bricu

Summit!

Postby Bricu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Hey guys:

For the past month or so there have been a few IRC and RP sessions devoted to the idea of a Peace summit on 9/7. In summation, here is what is going on:

While still pushing for the GLF to wage a proper guerrilla war, there has been talk by Bricu about having a peace summit. He and Threnn argued over it. He made mention of it to Shaila and to Chelody (though part of that is still being worked on). Word is getting out that there is going to be some sort of summit of the guilds soon to discuss how to work towards peace.

On the Feathermoon Facebook page, there are two secret groups: One for Horde Side RP and A Side RP to help develop rumors and hooks for this summit. Right now, there is a discussion going on a-side about using trade a as a point to reduce tensions and build confidence. H-side is still a bit quiet.

There are a few "aces" that have been created. I'd ask that the folks involved in planning said things keep it a secret till 9/7. Things that players can do to help bring about a peaceful end to the H-A conflict. While we know that this isn't going to happen, it does not mean that our toons cannot think of some positive, actionable things to do to make Peace happen.

The summit is scripted just enough to address it going well or going pear shaped. there is help at developing hooks and snags...but in the end, this is an excercise in empowering RP.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Bricu

Re: Summit!

Postby Bricu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 am

I think there's some confusion here regarding the peace summit. as of right now, i think the best way to summarize a number of points here (including my own vague ones is this mashup quote of Southpark and Threnn:

Step 1: Peace Summit
Step 2: ???
Step 3 : PEACE!
That's not exactly how this is gonna work.

From the readings I have done (and this is a long time ago, when i was still in college reading about the Troubles, doing Amnesty International, the years after WWI and reading up on the Middle East) the peace process begins with small groups of negotiators that work to hammer out common goals. These are small things: Prisoner exchanges, joint declarations, limited cease fires. Even those so-called-minor declarations take a long time.

In Bricu's eyes this peace summit is the first step to a long, long process that would have to bring pressure on to the leaders. The Peace summit is to do this:

•Judge Interest
•Assert Common ground
•Small Confidence Building Gestures
• Joint Declaration of Guilds

Bringing up reparations for Tuarjo or Southshore, settling the conflict in Gilneas: These things are, in Bricu's eyes, months down the line. As Players, we know that Days down the line, Bad Things happen.

Thought of another SPORTSBALL way: The Peace Summit is Spring Training (or the Pre-season). Potential is judged. Deals and trades are brokered/Discussed. People make comments and judge prospects. That's what we are aiming for: To set up a longer discussion for peace.

Hooks and RP At the Summit:

Step 1: Should a PC of yours go to the summit? Answer these questions to determine if it makes if a PC of yours should attend the summit:

1) Is your character interested in peace?
2) If approached by another character, would your toon be willing to a peace summit?
3) Would your toon go to the summit just to sabotage it*?
4) Would your toon go to a peace summit, even if theyw ere against it, to support or protect someone else?

If you answer yes to any of those four questions, then you have a hook for the summit. If you are going to sabotage the summit, please send me a line. While this is not a scripted event, there are aspects of, "If x happens, then y happens." I need to know about sabotage so i can prep for it. Additionally, if i know about sabotage, there are definitely connections that could be made to other characters. It'll be awesome for everyone if you let me know about your dastardly plans.
--

Now, what to contribute to the summit. Here are some questions to ask to figure out what your player OR guild can contribute:

1) Would you describe the toon as a diplomat? Don't worry, most toons are not diplomats.

2) Does your character have any trade skills that would be useful to making peace--this could be Cartography, trade/economic understandings, agricultural, or supply chain/logistics.

3) Is your character, who may not be a diplomat, good with language? Both in speaking langauges and in crafting documents?

4) Does your PC or guild have any connection or influence with NPCs. Before we stray into Sue land, let's remember: While all characters have reputation bars, not all characters have positve IC-reps with a faction. Furthermore, having influence and being willing to talk to someone is not the same as saying that a faction follows through with request. It would need to be ficced--your toon talking to a npc faction leader's aide-de-camp---but it is a viable option.

5) Would your Toon be willing to work with someone from the Horde for one of these goals? For instance, let's take agricultural: Would Druids/shamans/Toons with Farmer Backgrounds of each faction be willing to work with each other at healing a particularly blighted area in game? Or, better yet, let's say your toon works at establishing charities: Would your toon work to help a guild/toon from the other side to establish an equivalent charity? (Yes, this could be treasonous. That's why it'd have to be orchastrated carefuly and would require peole with connections.)

6) Is your toon going just to provide critiques?

For the most part, RP at the Peace Summit is simply to look for areas of common ground between the factions as well as determining how to make those commonalities work towards peace. Every character is good at something--and even if that thing they are good at is detrimental to peace (Say, killing folks) then by agreeing /not/ to do it for a limited time is still a step forward for peace and a contribution to the summit.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Return to “Roleplay”