Marked.

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Yva

Marked.

Postby Yva » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:25 pm

She removed her gloves, laying them on the table by the door. The goblin stared at her nervously, licking his thin lips before clearing his throat. He'd locked the front door like she'd asked, even going so far as to turn the 'Closed' sign on in the front window of the shoppe. Every once in a while his beady eyes would flicker to the window, where the enormous felguard loomed outside, his axe braced against a muscled shoulder.

"So uhhh, what's with all the secrecy . . . and the big fuckin' demon. Normally folks don't come here with big fuckin' demons."

Yva threw the coin purse at him, watching it thunk off of his chest to strike the floor. He scooped it up, his fingers unravelling the leather cord to spill the gold coins into his palm so he could count. There was a lot of it - a lot more than he'd asked, and though he was happy for it, he didn't quite understand. He looked between the small mound of money and his client, confusion knitting across his brow.

"Y'over paid me, lady."

"This isn't your usual job."

"How so?"

She smirked, pulling a rolled up parchment from her cloak. He had to put the gold into his pocket to take it from her, peering at the strange marks that covered both sides of the sheet in a precise, blocky script.

"Can you recreate those?" She asked as she laid her cloak over the back of a chair.

"Shanks Guttenspear can draw anything, even this shit. What is it, though?"

"Sigils. Almost five hundred of them."

"You're gonna look like a fuckin' dictionary."

"No I'm not, because you're going to make them look tasteful."

"I am, am I?" He winked at her. When she didn't smile, he shuffled his weight from one foot to the next. "Well you're right about one thing, this ain't my usual job. Most folks want whales or fish or hearts with a name in 'em. You sure I can't talk you into a butterfly 'tween your titties? Looks nice with those swashbuckler's shirts the gals are wearin' these days."

"How awful. No, Mister Guttenspear, I want those, and you're going to be extra careful with them, especially considering the fact that if you err in maintaining that precise order, if you even get the smallest dash wrong on one of those sigils, you might blow both of us up, and I'll be most displeased."

"W . . . wait, what?"

"That's an incantation." She motioned at the page, laying herself down on his couch. "It channels ley line energy. It'll act as a foci. I'm a mage, you see."

"A mage? What's with the nether spawn out front then?"

Her lips twitched. "I'm an eccentric mage. Does that make you feel better?"

"No, not really." He dragged the back of his hand across his forehead. "You ain't shittin' about this blowin' us up, are you."

"Do I look like I'm . . . " she paused to flit her hand around, letting the noncommittal motion complete the sentence she would not.

"No. No you don't, and that's why I'm nervous."

"So you can't do it?"

"Oh, I can do it."

"Ah. So you won't do it, then."

He looked into her blue eyes, sweat already forming at his temples. "I didn't say that, it's just . . . ya know."

She laughed, a velvety rich sound that reverberated through the small room. "I do know."

He looked at the parchment page, and then he looked at her. Common sense warred with goblin greed - no job should be worth risking his life over, especially not in this field. If he'd wanted danger he would have been a gods damned Booty Bay brawler like his cousin Chucky.

"Tick tock, tick tock, Mister Guttenspear. If you won't help me, I have to find another artist who can, and that's an awful lot of gold. Someone will take it."

"I . . . " He shook his head, pausing to light himself a cigarette. "Shit. All right. I'll do it, but I wanna make one thing clear before we start."

"Mmm?"

"You're one crazy bitch."

Her smile was beatific. "I've heard that before."

"Good. Now shuck your drawers."

"What?!"

"Take the robe off, sweetcheeks. Ya want something tasteful, I'm not gonna fuckin' draw it on your face, now am I."

"But then I'll be . . . "

He laughed as he turned towards his work bench, retrieving his well of ink. He checked his needles and he checked his gloves. "Yep, naked as a jay bird. Consider it a job perk. For me, that is."

"Oh bloody hell."

"That's what they all say." He turned with his tools in hand. "Now drop 'em darlin'. This is gonna take all night."

Six hours later, Yva Darrows staggered to standing, her hands shaking. To her credit, she never screamed during the ordeal, not even when he wound the cord of tattoos around her inner thigh and over the bone of her hip. Shanks was washing his hands in the basin to her right, the water turning pink with her blood.

No one had told her that tattooing was such savage work.

"Ointment for the next three days, or find yourself a priest or a paladin. They can heal it up lickety split and the tattoos will be fine. If it itches, don't fuckin' scratch or I'll have to touch it up, and frankly, I've had enough of that sigil shit to last me a lifetime. My hands are cramped."

"Oh trust me, I'll find a healer."

Before dropping the hem of her robe back into place, she eyed his handiwork in the floor length mirror. From a distance, it looked like she had a cord - maybe a vine - that started at her pinky toe. It traveled over her foot, around her ankle, and up her left leg. It looped around four times, ending in a small tendril that arched over the curve of her hip and down to her navel, the end tickling just below her belly button. She'd said artful, and he'd delivered artful.

"You, Sir, are a master."

"Damn straight I am."

She smiled and dropped her robe into place. With a trill of a hum and a girlish giggle, she reached into her cloak and found another purse of coins, dropping it on the table by his work tools.

"For your troubles."

He nodded at her, lighting himself another cigarette and plopping down in the chair in the corner. "Whatever lady."

"Whatever indeed." She drew her gloves on and made her way to the door, waggling her fingers in a little wave before gliding outside, as graceful as a lark. Shanks watched her go, the shadow of the felguard lumbering behind her into the Stranglethorn night.

When he was sure she was out of ear shot, he tilted his head back and did something he hadn't done since he was thirteen years old and his Grandmammy Renny had died.

He sobbed like a baby.

Limping, cursing, and feeling all together miserable, Yva made her way to the Pig and Whistle, idly hoping to find Threnn Bittertongue or Delion Oreweave hanging about the bar. Neither had the good grace to be in residence, though her eye did catch a sliver of a shadow in the corner of the room, and she managed a smile

"Ah, Annalea."

"Evenin'." Anna closed the book of numbers in front of her, sweeping a lock of blond hair from her eyes. Watching Yva gimp across the room towards her, she tilted her head to the side with a frown. "You all right?"

"Quite fine. Got a bit of tattooing done and my leg is throbbing bloody murder. Was hoping your sister could heal me up, but she must be busy with the baby. Well, it is awfully late, so . . . it was a fool's chore."

"If it's just a tattoo, I can lend a hand. It's not my specialty, but I can probably manage that."

Yva's eyes lit up. "Truly?"

"Sure. Let me see."

Yva nodded, looking around once and then twice before positioning her body in such a way that Reese wouldn't be able to see her hiking her skirt up around her waist.

Seeing the black mark covering Yva from foot to hip, Anna's eyes grew a little wider. "That's not a bit of tattooing, Yva. That's a fuckload of tattooing. Elune, that must have smarted."

Yva laughed, but it was tight. Her left leg felt like it was on fire. "A little, yes."

"All right, well . . . shit. Hold still."

The shadows slid off of Anna's hands as twin pools of white light grew around her fingers. Yva closed her eyes, expecting whatever was about to happen to be another exercise in agony, but there was a flutter on her skin, as light as butterfly wings, and then the throbbing in her leg dwindled to a mere pulse, and then there was no pain at all.

"Oh, oh that's nice," she whispered, cracking an eye to look down. Sure enough, the angry red swelling had disappeared, and she was staring at the smoothness of her flesh, tattoo as black as night and fully in tact. "You are gods sent, Anna. Don't let anyone say differently."

Anna smirked, peering closely at the inch thick cord just above Yva's knee. She reached forward as if to touch it, but stopped herself at the last moment. The shadows crept back over her hands and began to slide up her arms. "Are those runes you're sporting there?"

"Hmm?" Yva dropped the hem of the robe into place. "Ah, yes. Just a few things to help me work."

"What do they do?"

"This and that, you know how it is."

"Uh huuuuh." With a quiet laugh, Anna reopened her book with its tallies and columns of numbers. Her hands fumbled with a small silk pouch on the table, and a moment later, she pulled out a cigarette, striking the flint on the edge of the bar. She groaned with the first inhalation of smoke before offering one to Yva.

"No, thank you. So what has you up at this horrid hour? It's a bit late for accounting, I'd imagine."

Anna just shrugged, a wicked grin playing about her mouth. "Oh, this and that. You know how it is."

Yva stared at her. Anna stared back.

And then they both laughed.

The cathedral bells chimed three times, each clang louder than the last, and Yva's thoughts flitted homeward, to the man likely wondering where the bloody nether she'd run off to at that hour of the night. "Mmf. I have to get home. I'll see you soon, Annalea. Be well, and thank you again."

"Elune bless. And nice ink. Looks good."

"Why thank you. I like it as well." She waved her goodbye and portalled herself to Dalaran, feeling infinitely more fit than she had just minutes ago. When her feet hit the cobblestone floor of the Kirin Tor's tower, she began to hum, her fingers tracing over her new tattoos through the heavy fabric of her robe.

One of my better ideas, and thanks to Anna, one of my less painful ones. All in all, a very, very good evening.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Yva

Re: Marked.

Postby Yva » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:13 pm

She slipped through the front door, as quiet as a church mouse. The dog would make a huge noise and ruin her stealthy arrival, but she'd try to let Jak sleep.

Try.

It lasted all of twelve seconds.

There was a thud. Then another thud. The barking started shortly thereafter. Apparently Dog had been sleeping on the couch in the living room, waiting for her, and now that she was here, well – OBVIOUSLY – he had to make a big bloody deal about it.

“Shh. Dog you . . . good gods. Down, boy.” He was getting big, bigger. When he reared up on his back legs his front paws nearly struck her shoulders which was an attestation to both the size of the puppy and the shortness of her own stature. If he grew any more he'd be able to put the saucer sized paws ON her shoulders, which lacked a certain dignity. She was fairly sure any of the Riders seeing that would have a field day.

“Bone? You want a bone?'

BARK. BARK. BARK BARK YIP BARK OH GODS YES I WANT A BONE MUMMY PLEASE I'M STARVING AS I'M CANINE AND NO ONE LOVES ME ENOUGH TO FEED ME EVER.

“All right, all right. Give me a moment.”

She was rifling through the cabinets to procure the treat when Jak's voice carried through the halls. “Welcome home, Dear.”

He didn't sound tired, which meant he'd been waiting for her, and she wasn't sure if she should feel guilty about that or not. It was three am, yes, but she hadn't told him to wait up. He'd chosen to, so was it her fault for being a late comer or his for lazing about reading until she came home? She decided to blame him. It was much easier to do, and in her humble estimation it was usually the man's fault anyway.

“Hello, love. Give me a moment. Just bribing the dog to leave me alone.”

“Oh, because that's likely.”

“We can hope.”

She gave him a bone the size of her forearm, watching the shaggy beast run towards the couch with it. She was fairly certain tomorrow she'd find bits of it buried between the pillows, but it'd keep him quiet for a few hours, and that's the best she could hope for.

She wound her way through the hallways to the back bedroom. Jak was lying atop the blankets, a book propped on his bare chest, three pillows behind his head to keep him upright. A quick glance told her he was entrenched in yet another history book, this time of the orcs and the dark portal's beginnings, and she smirked. He hadn't been waiting for her, he'd been absorbed by something he found interesting.

“Ha! So it wasn't my fault,” she said.

“Pardons?”

“You being awake.”

His lips twitched. “I could tell you that I pined for you, if you'd like.”

“It'd be a lie. The orcs have stolen you away.”

“Yes. There's something about grunting green men I find irresistible.”

“Doesn't everyone? Oh, nice pants by the way. Wherever did you get such masculine, blue pajamas.”

“Some shrew made me wear them.” Jak's pajamas had been a point of contention last week. Yva'd bought them for him, some of the finest Darnassian silk she'd ever seen, as smooth and light as a rose petal, and when she brought them home he'd immediately told her he didn't wear woman's finery, and he was sorry she'd confused him with Laurus Drachmas. The argument over the masculinity of silk evening wear had gone into dinner, and then dessert. It wasn't until later, when he came to bed wearing them that he admitted to arguing just to get her ire. Jak liked goading her. It was strange, and oddly endearing in its own way, though she'd never admit that to him. It was much more fun to pretend to be mad.

“Well, that shrew is terribly sorry for being late. I hadn't meant to be out all night. I didn't realize my chores would take so long.”

“I see, and what were you about anyway?”

“Do you promise not to be cross?”

He closed the book and laced his fingers together on top.

“What would I be cross about, Yva?”

Damn it, we've gone from Dear to Yva. Bad sign, that.

She thought to tell him first, but in the end she figured it was better to show him, as at least she'd be naked at the time and it might soften the blow of an enormous black mark spiraling around one third of her body. She closed the door behind her, ending the incessant scarfing noises of the puppy on the couch, and pulled her robe over her head. She placed the gown over the back of the rocking chair, and with a deep breath, spun about so he had a clear view.

His eyes traveled from foot to knee, from knee to thigh, from thigh to navel, from navel to . . .

“The tattoo stops at my belly button, Jak,” she said dryly.

“Oh, does it?”

“Do you even know what color my eyes are?”

“Of course. They're a sort of..." He paused for inspection. "...rosy pink."

“You . . . oh you prick.”

He grinned, placing the book on the end table. She approached him, her knees bumping against his side of the bed as she flexed her leg to show off the entirety of the work.

“Well that looked like it took some time,” he said, his fingertips coming out to trace over the black at her hip.

“Nearly seven hours, actually. It was terribly ugly and red afterward, but Annalea was kind enough to heal everything. She's a good sort, that one.”

“Indeed she is.”

“So do you hate it?”

He took a moment to respond, mostly because he was pulling her beside him onto the mattress, and then doing this marvelous kissing study of the very tattoo she'd feared he'd hate. He was at the outside of her leg when she realized he had no intention of stopping, as this was an academic pursuit, truly, and he needed to acquaint himself with . . .

“Oh gods. That tickles.”

“Too bad.” Except it came out as SNOOFAD because his lips were smeared against the underside of her knee. She was too distracted to bother commenting, though; the tickling was giving way to this lovely heat that coiled in her belly and then shot straight down to her toes and back up again to other areas no good girl was allowed to think about, never mind talk about.

“That's rather . . . ohhhh. Jak, you're . . . ”

Squeak!

He took his time acquainting himself with the curvature of the mark. He especially seemed to like the way it twisted around to the inside of her thigh, and he spent an awfully long time there, really wanting to grok the entirety of the thing, and she had to give him kudos for his dedication to all things intellectual and . . . and . . .

And then he stopped.

Completely.

She was writhing on the pillows above him. Then she wasn't. She cracked a single eye to see what was wrong, and he was staring at her leg. He was still close enough that she could feel the warmth of his breath on her skin, but he wasn't . . . doing what he was doing with the tongue and the mouth and the wonderfulness that was wonderful and oh so wonderful. Something had distracted him.

She watched his eyes flicker over the tattoo, from left to right, from left to right, then from left to right again.

“ . . . what are you doing?” She meant to sound collected and stern, but somehow the whine was shrill, even to her ears.

“Hrmm?” His eyes continued to scan.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”

Now you're hollering like a shrew. Lovely.

“Oh. OH!” He looked up from her thigh to her face, but as quick as all that, the eyes went back to her leg.

“Are you READING?”

Why do you sound like someone is strangling you?

“Well I . . . “

“You. You interrupted what we were doing – to, to READ!?”

At the sharpness of her tone, he blinked at her. "Well it was RIGHT there. I didn't realize it was sigils until just now."

"But I'm all . . . and then you . . . it was . . . "

"Well it's like you shoved a book in my face while I was . . . you know. I couldn't quite help it."

"Oh, oh I see, so this is MY fault."

"I didn't say that! But I suppose if you HAD warned me I'd maybe have not been compelled to stop." Jak folded his arms defensively; he had that rhetorical tone to his voice, the one that meant he was considering all angles and applying the utmost in logic. Something began to throb behind her temples. "So yes, I suppose it is partially your fault, and partially mine."

"Partial . . . sh . . . a bloody book in your . . . you know what, Jak?" She snarled as she grabbed his book off of the end table and then she brought it down onto his shoulder, whacking him for all she was worth. Then she did it again, taking insidious glee in the red marks appearing on his skin. "TAKE YOUR BLOODY BOOK AND SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN WILL NEVER SEE."

He rolled away from her, narrowly avoiding another wallop. She swung the book like a weapon, and more to keep himself from getting thirty four chapters of orc history to the face, he manacled her wrist with his fingers, careful to not crush too hard. For all that she was powerful, she was also tiny, and he didn't really need to use much force to stop her from beating him to death with his very own tome.

"Damn it, Yva."

"Oh shove off."

She thrashed, flopping over onto her belly. She lifted her free hand and he could see something lighting in her palm, a white magic he associated with the arcane, and he knew he had approximately three seconds before he was covered in wool and roaming around the bedroom like an idiot looking for a patch of green.

"Oh no you don't."

"I said for you t-to SHOVE OFF."

He grunted as the heel of her foot connected with his shin. Grabbing her shining hand by the wrist, he yanked - not particularly hard, all things considered, but when you got down to it there was rarely anything pleasant about having one's arm twisted behind their back. It was more than enough to make Yva's growing incantation puff into useless smoke. She wriggled like a worm, and he used his bulk to immobilize her, his weight pinning her to the mattress. His foot looped around her calf. She growled beneath him now, almost like Dog did when someone was playing tug of war with his rope. There was a hiss and a muffled groan as she tried to squiggle away, but he had her and she wasn't going anywhere.

He rested his chin on her shoulder, keeping her hands trapped between their bodies. His elbow moved the book off of the bed, and he smiled as it hit the floor with a thunk. "Now then, as I was saying . . . "

Yva's body went cool beneath him and purple dusky magic rippled over her skin, shadows oozing over the bed.

"Yva."

"Mmmf."

"Behave."

She reared her head to glare at him. She was panting now, eyes at half mast. Her tongue slicked over her bottom lip. The murmurs started shortly thereafter; he couldn't tell if it was remonstration, incantation, or something else entirely, and he wasn't taking any chances. His tongue snaked out to trace along the shell of her ear, his teeth snagging her lobe and nipping at it. He had her in a rather lovely position, and not being one to waste such a golden opportunity, he proceeded to press his advantage, laying a kiss to her shoulder, and then the pale side of her throat. She groaned again, but for a completely different reason than before, and a much more enjoyable one at that.

Something else entirely, then. Good.

"Or don't behave. What have you," he said, letting one of her hands go. This time, instead of using it to cast all sorts of magic and mischief, she used it to claw at the blankets beneath her as she rolled her hips and sighed.

"Better."

Much, much, much better.

She stared at the ceiling, a stupid smile twisting her mouth. One of her arms was draped over her forehead, the other hung uselessly over the side of the bed. Jak had gone to get them glasses of water, at which time Dog had been allowed into the room. He was now licking his mistress's fingers. Normally she couldn't stand wet dog slobber. Right then, she was too limp to move away.

"I'm tired," she murmured, but the words sounded slurred, like she'd been drinking good Southshore bourbon for too long. Her tongue felt heavy. She blamed it on shadow magics swarming through the room. And Jak, of course, but then, everything was his fault. She was quite all right with that, though.

The man in question curled in beside her, pressing a kiss to her elbow. Her head lolled to the side and she grinned, a huge yawn escaping. The dull glow of daylight had begun to spill in through the curtains, and she knew they'd been awake far too long. If either of them had work the next day, they were going to be late. At least, she'd be late. No one was dragging her out of bed in this condition. He was much more dutiful, and more of a morning person than she'd ever be, so it was possible he was simple enough to report for duty with only two or three hours of sleep behind him. The Ebon Blade would be so relieved that the narcoleptic Jakob Balthasar had graced them with his greatness that fine day.

She'd nag him about it later, when she felt like she could form words again.

She pulled the sheet around her and nestled into the pillows, eyes fluttering closed, the lids feeling heavier than a piano. She was so intent on getting to sleep, she didn't really register Jak tugging at the sheet to expose her leg. Why, she didn't even fuss when he gently rolled her onto her hip so he could examine the sigils near her backside, nor did she object to being moved onto her back so he could completely absorb everything Shanks had transcribed onto her person. If fact, when he was nearing the end of the long list of runes, she let him know exactly what she thought of his reading compulsion without even meaning to.

She snored.
Last edited by Yva on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Yva

Re: Marked.

Postby Yva » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:47 pm

She slept late, but then, she always slept late when given the chance. In Yva Darrows' mind, mornings were cruel, what with their chirping birds, bright blue skies, and obnoxiously cheerful sunlight. Afternoons weren't much better, but at least they were nearer to nighttime.

Yip. Yip Yap. Yip Yap YIIIIIP. BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE ON THE BED. Yip. Yip Yap. Scraaaaatch at the pillows. Yip Yap. IT'S MY MUMMY!

“Unnnnngh.”

Jak HAD gone to work then, as Dog was home and apparently excited that she was awake. Usually, her loving significant other would take his fuzzy comrade with him if he was doing something outside the reaches of the Ebon Hand. The presence of the spastic canine twisting itself into a pretzel on the mattress meant she was dogsitting. Lovely.

Whiiiiiine Yap. Mummy, get up. I'm HUNGRY. STARVING. DYING MUMMY DYING. CAN IT BE FOODTIMES NOW? Dig. Dig Dig Scratch. Yip SNOOOOORT.

“Oh dear gods yes I'm coming.”

Yva rolled out of bed, her eyes squinted to tiny slits as she fumbled about the bedroom looking for her robe. It wasn't in any of its usual places – the peg on the wall was lacking, as well as the back of the overstuffed chair in the corner. After grinding both of her fists into her eyes, she was able to wipe the haze of sleep away, and things began to focus. The robe was definitely not here. She glanced at her desk, hoping it had been tossed there in a fit of . . . something . . . but to no avail. There was, however, something different on the desk, a new piece of parchment, and she stumbled over to give it a glimpse. Dog was spinning in circles on the floor behind her, but she managed to ignore him long enough to pick up the page covered in Jak's neat scrawl.

She recognized the symbols there. They'd been meticulously inked into her skin not one day ago.

“You actually stayed up all night to catalog . . . oh bloody nether.”

Dog barked his agreement.

By the looks of things, Jakob Balthasar had gotten zero sleep. He'd started copying the runes from her ankle and worked his way up to her knee and then her hip, and finally her lower stomach. The order was precise, the recreation was exact, which must have taken him hours, all night actually, which meant he'd gone to work with . . .

“You enormous idiot,” she spat. "I have the original scroll. You could have just ASKED."

She was about to get her box, to buzz him and make sure he hadn't gotten himself stabbed during a training regime, but then she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and paused. There was something on her back side, something out of the ordinary that she would have liked to attest to sleep drenched eyes or an errant shadow, but no, she was fairly sure this wasn't a trick of the light or her imagination. She wasn't THAT exhausted.

What the . . .

She spun around, glancing over her own shoulder to identify the mysterious blob of dark, but between the tangle of her hair and the curvature of her rear, she couldn't see anything. She edged towards the mirror, staring at her own reflection. It only took her a moment to figure out what she was seeing, and her eyes went huge.

On the left cheek of her bottom, there was a bruise in the shape of a palm and fingers. It looked like Jakob had dipped his hand in black ink and then applied a stamp to her. At some time during the previous night's “antics” he'd . . . and she'd . . . well she always bruised easily and . . .

If Yva Darrows could blush, she would have been fuchsia. Or maybe plum colored. Decent girls didn't let men DO that, and if they did, they were smart enough to not let the damning evidence brand them a harlot.

“Maybe I won't call him,” she murmured, raking her fingers through her hair. Dog barked his agreement, darting around her legs to make for the kitchen at breakneck speed. Yva shouldered into one of Jak's shirts and followed, her hand straying to the mark. She poked it and winced – it was still a little tender and likely would be for a few days if the color was any indication. He'd gotten her good, indeed.

“Oh isn't that just rich.”

Icecrown, The Ebon Hand Barracks

"And so I said to her, I said 'Mary, if you don't cease this nagging, I'm leaving.' Sure enough, she kept right on going, in my face and what have you. What was I supposed to do? Getting recruited took a lot away from me, but it didn't take my honor. Gave my word, you know? Anyway, I miss her, but for the death of me, I can't . . . I can tell by your face you think I screwed up."

Eric "Whistler" Enderman talked far, far too much. On a day when Jakob Balthasar hadn't had any sleep, Whistler's words were like needles to his brain, eroding what little patience he had far too swiftly. It didn't help that Whistler'd gotten his name thanks to his propensity to whistle whenever he made a "sh" sound in his speech, which meant his words were not only plentiful, but they were said in a grating manner. It was a horrid combination.

"I cared about her, maybe I should have . . . "

"Talk to her, and when she talks back, be quiet and listen," Jak said through grit teeth. He began tacking up his horse, carefully positioning the leathers over the saddle blankets. The gelding - a stubborn, snappy creature hell bent on biting anyone stupid enough to get near his front end when he was in a mood - stomped his hooves, prancing to the side with an irritable head toss . Jak ran a soothing hand down his withers, a smile threatening to blossom at the notion that his horse's orneriness matched his own. "Women like to talk."

"Does yours?"

"Of course."

Whistler allowed Jak thirty whole seconds of peace before he started in again.

"You think I was too hasty, though, right? I walked too early? My father used to say I should think before I acted. She's a nice girl, Mary. Prettiest green eyes."

"I can't help you with this, Whistler. You need to talk to the wench."

"She's not a wench, Lieutenant, she's . . . " Jak's head swiveled slowly on his neck, seemingly of its own accord, and he gave Whistler a flat, bag-eyed stare. "Right, right. Sorry, sir."

They mounted up and made for the front gates, Jak stifling a yawn behind his hand. He tugged his gauntlet on and looked at the dark skies over the east mountains.

"Rain coming. We'll want to be quick about this."

"Quick's my middle name, Sir."

"I wouldn't tell your girl that," Jak said drily, still looking up at the horizon. Either Whistler didn't hear him, or he chose to ignore the barb. Whichever the case, the silence was blessed indeed. He dug his heels into the horse's flanks and started out at a trot, leaning back in the saddle as they headed down the sharp incline of the pass. A talon of scourge had been seen near the northern trails of Aldur'thar, far too close to the Shadow Vault for comfort, and Duchess Mynx - a right bitch if there ever was one - had ordered Jak to patrol. She must have been in a less than stellar mood herself, sending Whistler with him for back up. Of course, there was the distinct possibility Whistler'd been stupid enough to try and chatter the duchess's ear off about his woman woes, in which case he was lucky he was alive. There was something in the Sindorei woman's eyes that mirrored deep-down cracks in the foundation of her person.

They'd gotten behind the ebon walls, a third of a mile from the barracks when Whistler started in again.

"Flowers, then?"

"Par . . . flowers?"

"For Mary."

Jak knew the boy would just keep talking, he knew it as he knew he'd draw breath, or that the sun would rise on the morrow. Regardless of looks, warnings, or otherwise, unless he wanted to rip Whistler's tongue out and wrap it around his neck like a fleshy, pink noose (a thought that actually DID amuse him greatly), there was no way to stop the verbal onslaught. He stifled a groan and turned the reins over in his hand.

"Flowers, I suppose, but they're...cliche. Not exactly special." Whistle opened his mouth to reply, and Jak kept talking, saying the first thing that came to mind. "Giving her a good tupping would probably do you better. It'll keep her happy, and she'll be far too busy to notice if you say something stupid. Assuming you're doing it right."

"A tup . . . oh. OH. You mean a bedding. I . . . well Sir I . . . " Whistler's cheeks flushed and he began to laugh. "I've not yet had the privelege to visit the garden temple, if you catch my meaning."

"Garden temple?" Jak stared at him, wondering if he'd ever been so young himself to speak of women with such reverent ignorance. If anyone ever had, at that. "Whistler, a girl doesn't have a temple between her legs, and she wants a man, not a monk. You are a man, aren't you?"

"Of course I am! I just wanted to respect my lady. It's the knightly way."

Jak pulled the horse to a stop so he could stare at him incredulously. "How long have you been with this we . . . woman?"

"A year and some months now?"

Saint Uther preserve me. "Whistler, there's nothing...'disrespectful' about bedding a woman." Unless she wants there to be, he didn't add. "The general idea is that she's enjoying herself as much as you are, and nobody has any fun in a temple."

"It's not actually a temple!" the younger knight blurted, apropos of idiocy. Jak resisted the temptation to grab him by the neck and shake him until Darkmoon Faire prizes fell out of his ears.

"Forget the bloody temple," he said in a quiet voice that spoke danger even to Eric Enderman's studied obliviousness. "Kill the metaphor and bury it." He could've continued, but the headache throbbing behind his bleary eyes was reaching critical proportions, and Whistler's rare silences were not to be wasted.

Silence, and a long pause as they stumbled across a broken down camp in the crook of the mountainside, the remnants of the campfire still spitting small tendrils of smoke. The smell of char and rotting meat lingered on the air. Jak slid off the horseside to walk about, scanning the trails for evidence of a retreat. The winds had blown strong earlier; most of the tracks were dusted over and faint, but experience told him there had only been three or so of them, maybe a half dozen at most if they were traveling light.

Whistler watched him work from the saddle, shifting his weight from left to right and back again, his tongue slicking over his lips periodically.

" . . . may I ask something?"

How did I know this was a short lived peace?

"You will anyway."

"How, well, the first time, did you flat out ASK her? There are those moments, I suppose when it wouldn't be so awkard, but it seems disre - presumptuous to just toss her skirts up about her head. Did you ply her with wine or dinner first? I was thinking maybe poetry, hiring a fiddler for some music."

"And what, let the fiddle player watch?" Jak smirked, not out of amusement at his own wit, but to let Whistler know that it was a joke.

"Of course not, but, well, how do I get her. . .amenable to the idea?"

"I don't bloody know. Look, if it's what you both want and you can behave half-decently and not be a prat about it, things should just progress of their own accord."

"So you didn't just ask her outright."

Jak's cutting smile loosened slightly, and for a moment the haze over his eyes was recollection rather than exhaustion. "Actually, she asked me."

"Women DO that?"

"Why wouldn't they?" Jak regretted that question the moment it passed his lips, because Whistler was probably going to actually answer. The art of rhetoric was clearly lost on him.

"Well they're the gentler sex! Women are . . . they just . . . " The younger knight searched desperately for an answer. "They're less vulnerable to the, the lower urges. They're. You know. Demure!" He seemed proud to have settled on a word.

"Demure." Jak turned back to stare. "Whistler, do you even know what that word means? Hells, it doesn't sound like your woman has any trouble speaking her mind. I think this is more your problem than hers."

"It is not!" Whistler stiffened in his seat, like someone had shoved a rod straight up his arse. "I'm trying to be a gentleman."

Jak swung himself back onto the gelding right as the black storm clouds above them broke wide, showering ice cold rain all over their heads. The ride to the camp had taken less than an hour, but it'd be longer getting back - they'd be fighting up an incline that was swiftly going to mud. The horses weren't going to have an easy time of it. "There's a time to stop being a gentleman, Whistler. I'd say yours was about six months ago. She's probably nagging you to death because the other option is to sit around reading the Tenets of the Light, and she'll find no proper joy there."

"My father used to read that to us actually. He's a priest at Northshire. Second undercleric to the Abbot himself!"

"Let me guess, he taught you about women?"

"All that he knew! My mother, Light bless her memory, was a paragon of virtue."

"That explains a lot."

Whistler rattled on about his lady woes all the way back to the barracks. After a while, the most Jak could muster for conversation was a grunt or a nod. If possible, his mood had gone darker; not only was he exhausted, he was cold, wet, and Whistler's voice had reverberated through his skull until the throbbing tension in his temples worked its way down his neck. Mud caked over his sabatons and legguards now, the trip up hill far worse than the one down. The storm had hit quick, and it had hit hard. The landscape had turned so slick they didn't reach camp until the late bells rang, calling the first shift into the mess hall for meal. Fortunately, the Duchess was still in attendance, talking to two of her captains beneath the black arches as she used her dagger to pick her fingernails clean. Jak saluted and waited for acknowledgment. Somewhere behind him, Whistler's armor clanged as he did the same.

"You're dripping on my boots, Balthasar."

"I'll endeavor to stay drier next time, ma'am." Jak stepped back, maintaining the salute.

"Oh for fuck's sake, at ease. What did you find?"

"A camp, as many as a half dozen, though I'd put it less. Likely a scouting party."

"Just as I thought. Why don't you . . . " She stopped herself short, really looking into his haggard face for the first time all day. She snorted and waved the dagger at the door. "Take those bags of yours and pack it home. You look like murloc arse. Whistler, get Pauric and Stonecrush. I want the hills patrolled tonight."

Under normal circumstances, Jak would have offered to lead the group - insisted even - but Mynx had never been known for her charitable moods. He'd take the overture for the miracle that it was and go home to bathe and rest and maybe, just maybe if he was lucky, get a hot meal out of Yva's kitchen.

"Appreciated, Duchess."

"It shouldn't be. I'm only letting you leave because I get to watch your ass as you walk out."

"I . . . "

Wait, what?

Whistler giggled behind him, and Jak turned his head to give the private a stare so icy, he retreated a few steps before he could think better of it.

"Dismissed, both of you."

"Thank you."

He pulled his gauntlets off and made his way for the double doors, shouldering past Whistler so hard the boy stumbled back. An awful smirk twisted his lips and for a moment, he felt better, but then Mynx's whistles and cat calls started, and he rolled his eyes to the cavern's jagged ceilings, wondering what could possibly make the day any more fucking irritating.

"Welcome home, love. There's a tub waiting for you, but make it quick would you? We're going to visit Eloim." The voice - sugary sweet and cajoling - wound its way to him from the kitchen.

He stared daggers at the doorway. His plate helm hit the floor with a thud to send Dog skittering back. The puppy whined and fell to his stomach, tail wagging, chin on the floor while he waited for a proper greeting. Jak extended a hand and he came over to sniff, and then lick, his gauntlets. "I am cleaning myself and lapsing into unconsciousness. Say hello to my uncle for me."

"Tsk, ignoring familial duty. I did tell him we'd be stopping in soon, you know, and I thought . . . "

"Yva?" He rolled his eyes to the ceiling, concentrating on maintaining the calm in his voice. "I've had no sleep, I've had rain pissed all over my head, and I was afflicted with Whistler for nearly six hours. Please? Tell him next week?"

She walked out of the kitchen, a white apron wrapped around her neck and waist to protect her from whatever culinary project she'd been involed in. Her arms folded over her chest, her foot began to tap. There were splotches of mystery sauce all over the apron, something yellow and flaked with green herbs. The smell of cooking meat hit him then, all savory and spicy with just a hint of orange, and his stomach began gnawing on itself, screeching a pathetic whine of hunger.

She looked at it, and then at his face.

"I see. I suppose I should feed you then."

"You are far too good to me."

"I wouldn't say that yet. Go get yourself . . . IS THAT MUD ON MY CARPETS?!" She waved a wild hand in his general direction, the harpy lilt sending Dog sprawling for cover behind the couch. Jak looked over his shoulder at the wet, brown footprints already drying in the doorway, and winced. "I'll get that later, I promise."

"'Later'," she grumbled. "Get in the bloody tub. There's no way that can stay or it's going to . . . " She shoved past him. "Go, go, go. This absolutely serves you right, you know."

He swallowed something biting and all together unfriendly, placing the pieces of his armor on the rack. They'd need a good polishing tomorrow, but not now, it could wait. Everything could wait while he got this day cleansed off of his skin. The good news was, the tub was filled nearly to the brim with steaming water, as she'd promised. The heat met his bones, the aches fading away far faster than they'd come. He tilted his head back and sighed, enjoying the water, enjoying the first few minutes of peace he'd had all day.

"Jak."

She'd soundlessly come into the bathroom, he knew she was less than five feet away, but he didn't want to say a word because she had That Tone that suggested she was displeased with him, and was going to nag. Mercilessly.

"You know, we really ought to see him."

"Mmm."

"Eloim's not doing particularly well and you could raise his spirits."

He opened a single eye to look at her. "I don't want to punch anyone in the face tonight." Well, maybe Whistler. "And I haven't a firm grasp on my temper right now, dear."

"Well he's past that. We're on good terms, he and I. He's family now."

"Yva. Not tonight."

"Oh FINE. But you know, you're a bloody idiot."

"I think you mentioned that."

"I did not. I said the fatigue serves you right. You're an idiot because . . . are you listening to me?!"

He opened the second eye. Still in her apron, her arms again folded over her chest, she looked like she was going to beat him to death with a rolling pin; Yva Darrows as Domestic Goddess, wielding hearth wrath as well as her mother before her, and her mother before her. "Yva, my dear, it would be impossible for me not to listen." Because you're shrieking like a banshee.

The expression on her face told him immediately that she had caught the subtext. "Good, then you won't mishear me. See this?"

She produced a scroll he hadn't seen before and proceeded to unroll it. The symbols covered both sides, front to back, wedged into every possible bit of free space on the page. "THESE match . . . wait for it!" Her free hand went to the side of her skirt and she untied the laces, allowing the slit to fall open and expose her leg and flank. "My sigils. Oh look!" She stabbed the first rune above her hip with her thumb, and then waved the paper at him. "It's like I had all of this written down for someone else to work off of! Which means you stayed up all bloody night and ruined yourself for nothing! Why didn't you just ask me, Jakob?"

"I didn't want to wake you. You were sleeping rather soundly, you know." He tried to focus on the page, and then her leg, but he was so tired everything was blurring together. At first he thought that's what the big dark mark was - just his vision going funny after thirty eight hours awake time - but he realized after a moment that something wasn't adding up quite right. He motioned her closer, squinting and sitting up in the tub, and she edged towards him, thinking he wanted to see the original script of the incantation. "What IS that?"

"It's Narwan. Beginnings, you ought to know. You taught it to me. Are you actually THAT tired? "

His finger reached out to trace along the edge of her hip.

Where the bruise started.

He craned his head and got a better view of the thing, his mouth splitting into a smug grin as he realized what he was seeing. "That's not Narwan, dear. That's not even a beginning. I think it happened somewhere in the middle of things, in fact."

"I . . . oh damn it, I forgot . . . yes, I . . . STOP LAUGHING, JAK."

But he couldn't. He tried to, but either exhaustion had overridden his sense of self preservation, or someone having a hand print on their bottom was just that funny. He couldn't have sworn in court as to when and under exactly what circumstances Yva had been marked - things had a tendency to run together - but there was no question that it was his handprint. It may as well have had his name on it like a maker's mark, it was that detailed. Of course, that line of thinking led to the natural concern that he'd harmed her, and he sobered, clearing his throat a few times to keep the mirth at bay.

"You're all right? I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"No! Of course you didn't, you bloody wretch. It's just humiliating."

"You're sure?"

"It hurts a little but it's . . . " She fumbled with the laces on her skirt, trying to cover up the source of her embarrassment. "It's one of those not-bad hurts. Leave well enough alone, will you?"

"Ah. A good hurt." He tried not to smile and recorded a resounding failure for the ages. "I'm very glad you introduced me to that idea."

"Oh stop looking so fucking smug, Balthasar."

She sounded so indignant that he started laughing again, this time enough to send him sinking into the tub, his head tossed back so far nearly drowned in his tub water. She flung the scroll at him, and it bounced off of the wall above his head to fall uselessly onto the floor, which just made it worse. His sides were going to split apart. He went on like that for a few minutes, hearing her stomp out of the bathroom and slam a few doors around the house. It probably shouldn't give him such sheer joy that she was that pissed, but she had been nagging since he'd walked in, and on a shit day at that. She could deal with his...taking the piss, as her father might've said.

Finally, after what seemed like days, he was gasping for air and righted, the laughter no longer churning inside of him. There was still the sounds of angry Yva elsewhere in the house, but he'd fix that later, before bed for certain. He didn't like to think of her upset when he was trying to sleep. Part of it was affection and a legitimate desire to see her happy, the other part was survival instinct.

He was almost done, just needed to wash his hair, and then he go could go about soothing the tantruming princess, after which he would have a word with the tides and, while he was it, see if he could do something about the next day's rains. He got to the soaping-up-his-head bit when he heard her coming like a small maelstrom down the hall.

"You were hungry, weren't you?" There was a sweetness to her tone that telegraphed a great many things to him. None of them were good.

"I am." Not enough. "And I can always eat your cooking."

"Oh good!"

She stepped into the bathroom with a heaping pile of food, everything smelling tasty and delicious. His stomach wailed for sustenance, and she smiled all the wider. She had a fork, spoon, and knife in one hand, the plate and napkin in the other.

"Er. I wasn't expecting...thank you, dear."

"Of course, my lord. Enjoy!"

"Wait, Yva, don't - bloody piss!"

The plate - and the cutlery - spilled into the tub. Beef, carrots, and some kind of cheese smothered potatoes were now drenched in bath water. He watched bits of vegetables pop up from the depths and start floating around him, like she'd just made him part of a soup. On one hand, he wanted to weep for the loss of such a beautiful dinner, of course, but on the other . . .

Well the other was an utter shit and found the whole thing riotously funny. It's likely why he started laughing again.

It was also why he ended up having a sandwich for dinner.

Return to “Roleplay”