Mothers and Daughters.

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Yva

Mothers and Daughters.

Postby Yva » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Skyborne looked at the front door to Amberpine Lodge, trepidation stirring in the pits of her belly. It felt like the time she’d eaten that bad tram rat; her sour stomach was making her crampy and crabby.

I don’t want to talk to Seylon.

They were simply AWFUL at having serious conversations. Every time Sky went to her mother about anything important, Sey either shared pearls of wisdom from her own completely fucked up life, or she chastised Sky for some decision she’d have made differently. Sky recognized that Sey ended up in a good place – Aleruss and the baby were good for her mother, they grounded her – but she didn’t like to compare lives otherwise. Sey was a drunk and a womanizer and an abandoner. Sky was . . . Sky. She liked being Sky. She didn’t want to be anything like her birth mother. Ilarra always commented on how much she looked like her mother, and she supposed that was all right, but lifestyle choices? No, she didn’t want there to be a comparison. Sey’s advice and world-tales she could live without.

The problem, of course, was she didn’t respect her. They both knew it. It made conversations really, REALLY awkward.

She straightened her hair in the glass of the window pane before stomping inside. Aleruss and Seylon had a second floor room, and she knocked, trying not to laugh as she heard her mother making cooing noises at her brother.

“C’mon in, Sugar.”

She opened the door and threw her floppy hat onto the back of the couch.

“Hi Mom.”

Sey had Khal draped over her shoulder. He was cramming a pudgy fist into his mouth, making slurping noises. Upon hearing his sister’s voice, he squiggled like a greased pig, nearly slipping out of Sey’s arms. Sky managed to scoop him up before he plummeted to the bed below. When she began to purr, he gurgled, yawning sleepily and closing his black eyes.

“Glad ya could come for lunch. Made some fish for ya. Made enough for that boy of yours too.” Sey winked.

“Yeah uhh, that’s kinda why I’m here.”

“Oh?”

Sey turned back to the stove. Sky tried very hard to ignore the fact that her mother was walking through the house with a pair of tiny shorts and an apron that tied around her neck but nothing else. She wasn’t shy about nudity, didn’t really care that her mother was mostly naked most of the time, but it was an odd domestic picture to say the least.

“I think it’s kinda serious.”

“What’s kinda, Sugar? We talkin’ flowers an’ poetry or are we talkin’ rug burn an’ doin’ it in the tub ‘fore breakfast?”

Sky felt her face flush hot, remembering something pleasant ABOUT the tub. They’d both skipped breakfast though - it was an excuse to have brunch.

And get more rug burn.

It was a vicious cycle.

“Uhhh, the second, I guess.”

Sey kept her back turned. “Ya happy? He treatin’ ya good?”

“Uh huh. He’s nice to me, says nice things. Ummm, he’s . . . I dunno. He’s really great.”

The smell of the food cooking on the stove made her purr louder, and Khal snuggled into her neck, soothed by the sound. She supposed that made sense; Aleros was in cat half the time he was home, and his purrs were loud rumbles that put her own to shame. Khal was clearly a daddy’s boy.

“An’ I heard it’s . . . complicated. S’still complicated?”

Sky paused, her face falling slightly. “What do you mean?”

“Ya know what I mean.” Sey turned around, her smile gentle. She had two plates in hand. She placed them on the table, and then took Khallar to put him in his cradle so Sky could eat. He was dead asleep shortly thereafter.

“Oh. You mean her.”

“Ayep. I mean her. Look Sugar, I don’t talk on the box all the time cause I’m busy with your brother, but that don’t mean I don’t got ears. I heard ya talkin’.”

Sky attacked her plate, trying to find the best way to answer her mother’s gentle accusation. Seylon wasn’t doing it out of anger, she was doing it out of concern, but that didn’t make Sky feel any less awkward.

“Darlin’. Ya can talk at me. I ain’t judgin’.”

“I . . . well.” Sky put her fork down. “I’m going to say something, and it’s probably going to sound terrible, but it’s not SUPPOSED to, all right?”

“Lay it on me.”

Sky took a deep breath, hoping that she didn’t crush her mother with her honesty. “I don’t want to be like you. Look, I know you’re happy now, and before stuff happened that went all screwed up and bad, blah blah blah, but . . . I want a normal relationship. I don’t wanna be bringing people home all the time for fun. It’s not that what you do is wrong, it’s just not for me. If I wasn’t sure that he couldn’t be with me I wouldn’t bother with him, because I can’t just bed them and forget them like you. I don’t know how you and Aleruss do it, but it’s scary to me.”

There was a long silence between the women, only broken up by a baby’s soft snores.

Sey’s ear twitched, and Sky’s did in return.

“That ain’t criticism I don’t think,” Sey said at last. “S’damned well put. Now to be fair, ya mind me sayin’ my take too?”

Sky shook her head no.

“I trust ya on this, cause I know ya don’t want someone takin’ off on ya like I did. S’brutal honest, but we both know it’s true. Ya got issues that way, an’ s’my fault. So if you tell me he’s stickin’, I believe ya. An’ if he doesn’t?” Sey grunted. “I’ll fuckin’ kill him.”

“Umm, thanks Mom.”

They stared at each other, and for once – just once – there was genuine fondness between the two of them. Lunch was finished shortly thereafter, and big mugs of bourbon were shared on the front porch. The view from their terrace in the lodge was amazing, and Sky entertained herself by leaping off and nearly splatting on the ground before taking wing.

When it was nearly dusk, and time for Sky to go back to Dalaran, Sey hugged her close.

“Now ‘fore ya go, I got one thing to tell ya.”

“Kay.”

“S’top secret. Trade secret, all right?”

Sky blinked. “Kay.”

“All right, there’s this place that if ya wiggle your tongue JUUUUST the right way, ain’t no man gettin’ up with good legs. S’right here, an . . . “
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Return to “Roleplay”