Accents?

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Alonora
Location: Hiding in those trees ahead, to the left. No. Your other left.

Re: Accents?

Postby Alonora » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:09 am

For some reason the Stormwind human accent has always been more cockney in my mind. They just (and pardon me here >.>) have never seemed "snooty" enough to earn a fictional "the queen's english" accent, to me. :D

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, if the voices in WoW and WC3 are to be heard, Stormwind's accent is basically American, with perhaps a hint of English inflection the higher-class you go, and a bit of Cockney slang among the lower classes (this also goes for Lordaeron). I would compare it otherwise to medieval France, perhaps, though hardly linguistically.

The most obvious real-world parallels other than that would be Hillsbrad and Arathi, being rural England and Scotland, Gilneas being vaguely Swiss, Kul Tiras reminding me slightly of Spain, and Lordaeron having just a touch of Scandinavian, though perhaps a bit more reflective of Germany, with a dash of English. Dalaran is definitely it's own thing.

While we're on the subject, I find it interesting to note; every troll has that same ambiguously Caribbean accent. However, they seem to do a nice job of establishing the different troll cultures as aesthetically different otherwise. The Gurubashi are overtly Aztec, the Amani are Incan (subtle difference? Zul Aman gave me a Macchu-Picchu vibe), the Drakkari have a dash of both of those with a massive helping of Cambodian (check out the architecture; Angkor Wat all around), and I want to peg the Zandalar as Mayan, though they're a bit tough. I suspect should we get a South Seas expansion down the line, the Caribbean/Cajun/straight-up-voodoo-plus-giant-tiki-masks are going to be back in full force.

Yva

Postby Yva » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 am

It's funny. Yva should have had a northron accent, being that rp'ly her parents owned the brill inn.

I think her father must have been northern, her mother stormwind, because she definitely has that stormwind upper crust thing going on.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:40 pm

If I had all the time in the world, I would help create a dialect dictionary for wow.

Being that I have neither time nor motivation, I give this idea to anyone who wants it.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Shaila

Postby Shaila » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Shaila with an english accent blows my mind. I've always just imagined her with an american accent.

Return to “Roleplay”