Accents?

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Bricu

Accents?

Postby Bricu » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:18 pm

We figure that the North is a collection of various Scottish/Welsh/Irish accents,but what about the South? What is an Elwynn accent and what the hell does it sound like?
Better yet, how do you write it?

Help me out here. Ludlowe wants to know.

Whose Ludlowe? I'll post that when its done.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Varenna

Re: Accents?

Postby Varenna » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:16 pm

It goes like this: *ponce ponce ponce, poof poof ponce*

*ducks the wrath of the al'Cair sisters*
Personal isn't the same as important.

Yva

Postby Yva » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:33 pm

I always thought more a proper english accent. Subtle'ish inflection, but that's all.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Aleros

Postby Aleros » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:57 am

They probably put r's at the end of everything.

Drawring

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:20 am

They're southern. just speak with a twang to your voice and add y'all, bitch, I guarandamtee ya, and fuckin' a! to everything.

Oh wait, Azerothian southern.... It is rather hard for me to not see Genise with a British accent. XD

Threnn
Site Admin

Postby Threnn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:00 am

I tend to imagine a bit of a difference in accents by class, but mostly with a bit of a British accent. It's what the voice actors tend to have for the NPCs. Weird thing is, in my head, Threnn's and Anna's are very, very light, if they're there at all. Almost more of an American Standard for them, with occasional British-y inflections. I chalk that up to them growing up in a rebuilding city, with a huge mix of accents all around them. (Though Thenia and Padraig have the British-type accents.)

Fingold

Postby Fingold » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:42 pm

American standard with British-y inflections? The al'Cairs are New England girls imo. Motion to make it canon!
Strategery

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Yeah, I've always figured fairly light Generic Fantasy Britishesque accents in Stormwind, with some variation - maybe something bordering on American South (Gone With the Wind-style) among the nobility and a more rustic Yorkshire sort of thing out in the boonies of Westfall.

And just for fun, something Ceil and I were talking about at work - how do you all visualize Kul Tiras? I'd originally thought of it as kinda Mediterranean, but that seemed a little forced and didn't really fit with the super-Anglo Proudmoores. With the explosion of lore in WOTLK I've started wondering if a Scandinavian aesthetic would fit better; historically a bunch of brutal, hella-metal Viking raiders, but as modernization kicked in they became more civilized and mercantile.
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Jolstraer

Postby Jolstraer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:01 pm

I think that if Kul Tiras is Viking Metal on Boats, Gilneas would probably be their close Scandinavian brothers on land as far as accents.

Also, a note on the Stormwind Nobility accents...I don't know if the Gone With the Wind accent would fit well there, if we're going with British influences all over; Scarlet O'Hara was of Irish descent, and there were quite a lot of Scotch/Irish/Welsh settlers that moved down there, and that's a big part of why Southern drawls sound the way they do thanks to that immigrant foundation.

I would think that if we're going for more of a fantasy-British sounding accent for those of Elwynn, then among the Nobility of Stormwind it would be a stronger, heavier accent than what the commoners would speak.
"I left my home where the dead never rose
But the streets of gold i've yet to find
And at the end of the day all you can do is pray
Without hope well you might as well be blind, yeah be blind
Tomorrow comes a day too soon"

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Well, bear in mind that Stormwind was originally settled by immigrants from the North - after the collapse of the Arathor Empire, the last of the Arathi royalty and their followers traveled down to the southern half of the continent to start anew. Much in the same way that Scots-Irish immigrants settled the American South! So I think there's room to work with a lot of different things, depending on how long different families have been there and how much they've mingled with their neighbors.
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Return to “Roleplay”