Wondering about school in Azeroth ((OOC))

Post your RP stories/character descriptions/other cool stuff here!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Shaila

Wondering about school in Azeroth ((OOC))

Postby Shaila » Sat May 26, 2012 5:28 pm

I've been wondering lately what school might be like in Azeroth, with Shai's kids being at that age. I imagine it would be some weird mix of contemporary and medieval schooling, but the problem is that I don't know much about medieval schooling. How long did it last? Did they have any breaks? I know there are some pretty knowledgeable people in the Riders, so I figured I'd ask you guys. All I've found through a google search is pretty general info along the lines of "Yep they sure did have school back then".

Shai's having Tobias become a paige under Haylie, but she also wants he and Jaina to have some traditional education as well. I'd really like to figure out what that would entail.

than

Re: Wondering about school in Azeroth ((OOC))

Postby than » Sat May 26, 2012 10:12 pm

I'd imagine they'd have apprenticeships as opposed to actual schools. One of the tailor shops has a kid who's an apprentice to the shop owner as revealed through a small delivery quest from his mom. I don't know if that would be standard for education though.

Aelflaed

Postby Aelflaed » Sat May 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Arrens always ran Stormwind University as a typical institute of higher learning and as an outgrowth of a presumed primary education that was standard for Stormwind (there are schoolmasters in lore I believe). SWU was something of a combination of high school and college age students. I would think there would be a standard primary education for teaching basic reading/writing/math, and then kids could either go into trades/apprenticeships (like Aelys squire) or go on to more schooling, especially if they were into the magical arts.
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking

Illithias

Postby Illithias » Sun May 27, 2012 5:43 am

I consider it "future-canon" Illi starting a proto- military academy in 20-30 years or so; half-way between an orphanage and a barracks. Dormed students and day students.

As for now, I'd picture smaller towns having communal schools when the seasons permitted, and the cities having proper schools for wealthier kids and trade apprentices for the lower classes.
I am become Illithias, Destroyer of Worlds.

Loreli

Postby Loreli » Sun May 27, 2012 11:18 am

Doesn't Moonbrook have a schoolhouse? It's been a while since I was down that way.
"A little extra DPS never killed anyon... Oh wait."
"Still alive, I see. Clearly you're not trying hard enough."

Itanya_blade

Postby Itanya_blade » Sun May 27, 2012 11:52 am

It seems to be rather varied, which would fit the pseudo time period. More likely those that could afford it would hire tutors for their children. A group of people (like a village or a trade guild) would lump their money together to pay for a school master. And some people would use apprenticeship.

Alishe

Postby Alishe » Sun May 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Here's how I've played it: Alishe's children have been taught mainly by their "nanny" Sylang. They get together with other children for play time but learning is mainly just the two of them at home. Eventually as they develop passions for certain professions, they would be apprenticed to someone to learn the craft.
"We're all just dancers on the Devil's Dance Floor." ~ Flogging Molly

Shad

Postby Shad » Sun May 27, 2012 5:41 pm

I think Pill's got it right. Lore's correct about Moonbrook having a schoolhouse, and Stalvan Mistmantle seems to have worked both there and as in-house educator to the wealthy family he slaughtered.
I don't know if you know this, but baby bears are precious and soft. --Mylune

Kyraine

Postby Kyraine » Sun May 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I also agree with Pill. Your station, occupation, and where you lived would determine what kind of schooling you had access to. Kyr's family raised horses, sheep, and did some farming for their local lord. She would have been home schooled when they weren't busy with farming, baby horses, lambs, etc., or maybe done some formal lessons at the main house with the lord's servant's kids. Their holdings weren't close enough to a town for her and her siblings to go to a school there. When they got old enough, they either took over part of the farm operations, or went into the army or militia.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Bricu

Postby Bricu » Wed May 30, 2012 9:30 am

Arrens and Bricu discussed having a "University for Children" a long time ago. One of the many deals Bricu worked was to have Naiara attend the school for free. I think that was less than a coup than he initially imagined: Arrens planned on making it free for everyone.
I drink to keep you pretty
--

Return to “Roleplay”