In Which Totally Hivemind Has Two Choices

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

uthas

Re: In Which Totally Hivemind Has Two Choices

Postby uthas » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:32 pm

As an addendum to Tarq's post:

I think the most important thing in the case of this possible raid is for you to state the GOAL of the raid upfront, and make sure everyone is working toward the same goal. In this case it seems like you have 4 possible major goals: Loot, Progression, RP, Socialization. I suggest that Lans, Shaila, and Hino take the discussion off of the thread and just do in in realtime in WoW. Prioritize those goals, hash out some details - schedule, etc. Then come back here and make a new post outlining your goal, when you'll be running, and what you'll expect from raiders.
A rhombus is the kind of rectangle a bitch would draw.

Yva

Postby Yva » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Text is often taken poorly - tone can't be read. Something that may seem inconsequential to you might come across as screaming dickwad to someone else. Uthas has a great idea about taking it off of boards, but I'd one up it and say you guys should take this to vent and hash it out there so there aren't any text-based misunderstandings.

I'll also toss this out: there are plenty of raid "roles" - even in a ten man. Someone could be making the calls, someone could be loot master, someone could be readycheck person, someone marks trash for tanking, etc. Too many chefs will spoil a soup, but everyone just having one particular function might spread the leadership love around. You'd all get your feet wet. I will say that a tank generally has his face buried in a boss's gonads and thus visibility is a problem for on the spot decisions, so the drop of a hat raid decisiosn are likely left to a ranged person who can see everything.

Another point, and not to belittle or sound like a dick - outside of KT, Naxx doesn't have too many places you have to vent it up. Maybe 4H and Thaddius, but . . . yeah. There just aren't as many random wtf factors there as Ulduar. Maybe you could keep the easier content vent-free and switch to vent when things escalate in difficulty? Just a suggestion. I know on our ten man, pre-Ulduar, we definitely did half the dungeon on vent and switched over for just KT. Worked for us. Ulduar is A LOT more "DEAR CHRIST THAT BURNS" and required vent communication for a lot of it, but Naxx just doesn't have the same level of ouch to it.

2 Cents and good luck wishes, folks.
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Hinote

Postby Hinote » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 pm

I think Chel's sound card died or something yesterday, but a real-time discussion, in-game or otherwise, seems like a pretty good idea. Thumbs-up on that.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Appreciated, all the advice!

I'd like step back a bit and not get too far ahead of ourselves. We'll need to get ten people, who fill the necessary roles, to throw their hat in. We should consolidate a place where everyone, Rider and Rose, can discuss it.

Hopefully, I'm not required to be present 100% of the time. I'm about to start work for the day, and as such, be mostly incommunicado. On weekdays, I'm never available until late at night, and only then, rarely--my daily few hours of free time isn't always able to be committed to WoW or WoW-related discussions; the only time I can be consistently on is Saturday. If that means I shouldn't lead, that's all fine; I want leadership a lot less than I want a functional raid to get up off the ground. Not rushed, mind, and not with any particular contention over who is "in charge".

I can be in-game tonight, most likely after 10:30-11:00 PM server time, if anyone is able to discuss things with me then, though.

Nykko and Jolly: No pressure on you guys, for real. :) Don't mind our rambling--we just got a bit sidetracked over leadership quibblings. The only thing I'd like to know (whenever you're able to consider it) is if you see yourselves as being permanent participants. You've been doing really damn well up to now, and getting better.

Hinote

Postby Hinote » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Lansiron wrote:I'd like step back a bit and not get too far ahead of ourselves. We'll need to get ten people, who fill the necessary roles, to throw their hat in. We should consolidate a place where everyone, Rider and Rose, can discuss it.

I actually did a quick tally last night with Chel of people we're certain or at least almost certain would come along, and I think we came up with somewhere around eight or nine people. I know on the Rose end we've got about five (I'm counting Chel with us, nyah), including a tank (myself), a couple of healers (Savvi, Chelody), a little DPS (Maevisa), and a choice between another DPS or another healer (Spricket/Morhan). Depending on how many people are interested over here (I can't remember who all Chel named, because it was like midnight), it seems like we'll actually be just about good on people, possibly short an off tank. This is definitely something we want to iron out and make 100% sure we have the people for before we make any decisions, though.

I'll be around tonight as well, so that works out for me.

EDIT: As an aside, IRC is another possibility for this meeting thing, if Chel's sound card is still broken.

Tarq

Postby Tarq » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:39 pm

I got our stupid shit out of your thread. Sorry!
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:06 pm

Ducking in real quick. So totaling that, seems so far it's something like:
-Chelody (healz)
-Chel the Mr. (healz)
-Hinote (tanks)
-Me (Korin/Norvallen, DPS)
-Savvi (healz)
-Maevisa (DPS)
-Spricket/Morhan (probably leaning to healing)

Crossing my fingers that Jolstraer (tank) and Nykkolaia (dps) opt in when they're able. Shaila (DPS) is also uncertain, as he was saying he's had a bit of the burn-out of late.

So that leaves us room for 1-4 more, ideally off-tanks or more DPS, or another healer so Spricket can take the offensive.

Mind, I'm just taking notes here, not even remotely solidifying a roster.

EDIT: Oh right! Chel's man. Fixed.
Last edited by Lansiron on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hinote

Postby Hinote » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:14 pm

I think Chel also said her husband might be available, which would give us another priest for healing or DPS. Would need to double check with her on that though, just to be sure.

Chrystenise

Postby Chrystenise » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Sorry for the silence in all of this thus far.

I don't think I can make a post that covers things better than what Tarq said, however, let me put it out there again what the purpose of Totally Hivemind was.

It was intended from the start that TH was going to be a raid focused more on the in character aspect than the out of character. We wanted to make attempts at doing things without the use of vent and brackets, and put it all in the mouths of our characters as the people storming the citadel, so to speak.

It was our intention that raid add-ons and the like would be totally optional to the player, though making it clear that things like big wigs can be and do help a great bit. Vent was not on our list, however, as while we fully understand how much easier it makes things for a raid, we felt it took away from the IC aspect of things. (My connection plays part in it all, but that's a small part of it.)

We did have intentions of being progression oriented, but definitely not at the pace of your average progression guild, of course. But we intended to go at a steady pace, without all the extra srs bzns that your average raid requires. (Some amount is still needed if you want to progress, even casually, mind, as you'll never get anywhere if you stop between pulls to rp for 10 minutes.) But again, the intent was to make as much of it IC as we possibly could.

As for the leadership role, I fear I'm a little to blame on the triad idea. It sounded well and good to me, to have 3 of the people already there take over things and continue along. Lans and Shai especially, as they've not missed a single week and both seemed enthusiastic to help out when I made note that I had to step back.

I do understand Hinote's concerns against just dropping his role as the leader of the raid he's constructing to join into another however, and personally wouldn't ask anyone to do that if it wasn't what they felt comfortable doing.

This in no way means anyone has to make sacrifices to get this done. Hino knows the fights inside out, it seems. Lans-Shai-Chel are all newish to things, and looking to get the experience. This makes a great opportunity for all four of you to work from. This gives the raid an even wider base of expertise to work from. So long as the other 6 people in the raid get a fair shake, and are evaluated and assisted properly when the situation arises, and the raid itself keeps the IC property it was destined to have, I'm not so sure I see a problem with things. I do stress that it has to be collaborative, however, and not a collision between the four.

Again, Cabby and I are willing to help with whatever we can - all in all, we'd just love to see those we had to bail on continue to keep raiding in an atmosphere they all seemed to be truly enjoying.

Lansiron

Postby Lansiron » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:11 pm

Once again, Gabby demonstrates her ability to communicate things almost supernaturally well. x_x Thank you!!

Hinote; does that particular concept of a raid sound agreeable to you, or "compatible" with the idea you had?

Return to “General”