Muses

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

Post Reply
Bricu
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: CHICAGO!
Contact:

Muses

Post by Bricu »

Righto folk, what do you listen to when you are writing. What are your musical muses for:

Romance
Fight Scenes
Witty Banter
Death Scenes
etc...
I drink to keep you pretty
--
Image
User avatar
Fells
Posts: 831
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Keno

Re: Muses

Post by Fells »

Zoe Keating! Her stuff can spark so many different fuses.
Image
User avatar
Arrens
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 am
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Muses

Post by Arrens »

When I'm actually writing (like ficcing), I actually can't listen to music. Or much of anything at all as it has a tendency to distract. But when I'm RPing in-game? Hooboy! That's a cause for all sorts of music.

PvP/Fight scenes obviously call for something a little heavy. Disturbed provides great sparks of imagination for me as does Hollywood Undead, Three Days Grace or Hurt.

Witty Banter is typically something a little more folksy. Jimmy Buffett (who I know is Marty's favorite artist of all time) does wonders here. So does Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Billy Joel.

Romance? That can honestly be anything for me. Jack Johnson has been the artist du jour for me of late, but I can also take songs by Bob Marley, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin or Gordon Lightfoot. It all depends on the song and how it inspires me.
User avatar
Itanya_blade
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Muses

Post by Itanya_blade »

I have WoW music and I just have music. I don't have anything specific that I play, because the only reason I run music in the background is as something that distracts me.

As odd as it sounds, I write and focus better when there is a lot of other things going on. Anyone that has talked to me on vent (or seen my gtalk at night) knows that I constantly have music playing. I always have music or hulu playing at work too. I'm just one of the those people that finds more stimuli relaxing.
User avatar
Lansiron
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Muses

Post by Lansiron »

I don't do a ton of writing, but I do a fair bit of drawing ('course) and planning for regular tabletop RPG games that I run now and then.

In both cases, I'm either watching miscellaneous cartoons, or listening to music that is about 7-parts video game/movie music to 3-parts "regular" music, and the "regular" music tends to be either epic power metal (Rhapsody of Fire), trippy nonsense (Yes), and weird non-genre-belonging-to-silliness (Gorillaz).

I dunno if that's weird, or what. I just know I'm usually trying to capture something that has to do with "adventure".

When I'm trying to capture something specifically WoW related, believe it or no, I often listen to actual music from Warcraft games. >_> Though I know most seem to consider it only "ambiance" or just play with it turned off, I think it deserves a bit more credit.

Example.

Another example.

And another.

Yet another.

The examples go on.

Seriously!

And bringing us home.
Tarq
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:12 am
Location: Wherever the trouble is.
Contact:

Re: Muses

Post by Tarq »

A short selection!
Romance
Fight Scenes (two links)
Witty Banter
Death Scenes
Now hang me by this golden noose
'Cause I never been nothin' but your golden goose
Silver tongue don't fail me now
And I'll make my way back to you somehow
User avatar
Yva
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Muses

Post by Yva »

Okay I'm adding some show clips in here, too. Obviously space breaks imply different links, AMIRITE?

Rooooo- oooooo - ooooo - *Deep Breath* - maaaaannnn - ccccce.
Fight Scenes
Witty Banter Lols!

Others:

Angry Banter
Mourning And Grief
Happy Stuff (The Lily Allen song, incidentally, being written about the actor playing Theon Greyjoy in Game of Thrones)
Craziness!
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse or I'll lay your soul to waste.
User avatar
Tiforis
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:50 pm
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: Muses

Post by Tiforis »

I'm all man and all machine, a little sicko, little mean
I rock your brains out and you're sure to be damned
I lick your little finger then chew up your hand
for that's who I am: The Biomechanic man.
Post Reply