http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/
This made me laugh, because I definitely did this when I was working at Petsmart. Hell, our boss -told- us to do this. "Yeah, even if you know it's not back there, just go back there and pretend to look for it for a little bit. It makes the customers feel better."
I don't think I ever found anything the customer was looking for, looking in the back.
So how many of you have done this?
Moderator: Guild Officer
Re: So how many of you have done this?
Yeah... I've actually been guilty somewhat recently of asking someone if they could check the back.
Although, it has been successful before, but it was for shredded carrots.
Although, it has been successful before, but it was for shredded carrots.
Re: So how many of you have done this?
REALLY depends what store you're in. Big department stores like Myers and David Jones yes, smaller retail ones no.
We always kept our videogames in drawers in the front, so I could check our drawers for customers, and always did. Could never check the back. :/
We always kept our videogames in drawers in the front, so I could check our drawers for customers, and always did. Could never check the back. :/
<Fells> I SEE YOU DELIPON
<Fells> YOU'RE A KLITTY
<Fells> YOU'RE A KLITTY
Re: So how many of you have done this?
An item I saw advertised at Radio Shack as a Black Friday deal today wasn't on the shelf. I asked a clerk about it, and he went and brought out more from the back. Now, I didn't ask if he could check the back, I asked if they were sold out, so this is the reverse of the scenario in the strip, but as such it shows that the possibility of things being in "the back" isn't without merit.
Never actually worked in retail myself aside from working the cash register at a public pool. There isn't really an admission sales equivalent to "the back."
Never actually worked in retail myself aside from working the cash register at a public pool. There isn't really an admission sales equivalent to "the back."
Re: So how many of you have done this?
Looking back at Petsmart, I wish I could say this.Never actually worked in retail myself
Re: So how many of you have done this?
I did this all the fucking time when I worked at a grocery/department store, ESPECIALLY when people asked for any kind of popular shoe style. I'd go back into the shoe stockroom, sit down on a box and write or BS with the girl in the adjacent accessories stockroom who was doing the same thing. Anything apparel is never in the goddamn back.
Re: So how many of you have done this?
I work in a children's clothing store, with a tiny, tiny stockroom. It's a unique brand, which does limited lines each season in 3 shipments. Winter 09 will not have the things Winter 08 had. Nor will we get a restock of things from Summer 08 anytime soon. We simply cannot just 'ship more out' for one person.
People never seem to understand this. I've literally had a woman break down and cry because we couldn't try to get something from a line 2 years ago for her.
People never seem to understand this. I've literally had a woman break down and cry because we couldn't try to get something from a line 2 years ago for her.
Re: So how many of you have done this?
Every fucking day.Shaila wrote:http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/
This made me laugh, because I definitely did this when I was working at Petsmart. Hell, our boss -told- us to do this. "Yeah, even if you know it's not back there, just go back there and pretend to look for it for a little bit. It makes the customers feel better."
I don't think I ever found anything the customer was looking for, looking in the back.
I'm all man and all machine, a little sicko, little mean
I rock your brains out and you're sure to be damned
I lick your little finger then chew up your hand
for that's who I am: The Biomechanic man.
I rock your brains out and you're sure to be damned
I lick your little finger then chew up your hand
for that's who I am: The Biomechanic man.
Re: So how many of you have done this?
I did it all the time when I worked retail. Makes me look like I give a shit, even when I know we didn't have said item in stock.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...
Re: So how many of you have done this?
Yep, always did this, only so much whining of 'But you haaaaaave to haaaaave it, I neeeeeed it!' you can take.
Don't miss retail. Not one bit.
Don't miss retail. Not one bit.