So how many of you have done this?

Miscellaneous babblings from the Wildfire Riders and friends!

Moderator: Guild Officer

User avatar
Shaila
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am

So how many of you have done this?

Post by Shaila »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

This made me laugh, because I definitely did this when I was working at Petsmart. Hell, our boss -told- us to do this. "Yeah, even if you know it's not back there, just go back there and pretend to look for it for a little bit. It makes the customers feel better."

I don't think I ever found anything the customer was looking for, looking in the back.
User avatar
Aleros
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:18 am

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Aleros »

Yeah... I've actually been guilty somewhat recently of asking someone if they could check the back.

Although, it has been successful before, but it was for shredded carrots.
User avatar
Delion
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: Australian Capital Territory

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Delion »

REALLY depends what store you're in. Big department stores like Myers and David Jones yes, smaller retail ones no.

We always kept our videogames in drawers in the front, so I could check our drawers for customers, and always did. Could never check the back. :/
<Fells> I SEE YOU DELIPON
<Fells> YOU'RE A KLITTY
User avatar
Denne
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Denne »

An item I saw advertised at Radio Shack as a Black Friday deal today wasn't on the shelf. I asked a clerk about it, and he went and brought out more from the back. Now, I didn't ask if he could check the back, I asked if they were sold out, so this is the reverse of the scenario in the strip, but as such it shows that the possibility of things being in "the back" isn't without merit.

Never actually worked in retail myself aside from working the cash register at a public pool. There isn't really an admission sales equivalent to "the back."
User avatar
Shaila
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Shaila »

Never actually worked in retail myself
Looking back at Petsmart, I wish I could say this.
User avatar
Ceil
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:29 pm
Contact:

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Ceil »

I did this all the fucking time when I worked at a grocery/department store, ESPECIALLY when people asked for any kind of popular shoe style. I'd go back into the shoe stockroom, sit down on a box and write or BS with the girl in the adjacent accessories stockroom who was doing the same thing. Anything apparel is never in the goddamn back.
Bellesta
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: British Columbia

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Bellesta »

I work in a children's clothing store, with a tiny, tiny stockroom. It's a unique brand, which does limited lines each season in 3 shipments. Winter 09 will not have the things Winter 08 had. Nor will we get a restock of things from Summer 08 anytime soon. We simply cannot just 'ship more out' for one person.

People never seem to understand this. I've literally had a woman break down and cry because we couldn't try to get something from a line 2 years ago for her.
User avatar
Tiforis
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:50 pm
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Tiforis »

Shaila wrote:http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

This made me laugh, because I definitely did this when I was working at Petsmart. Hell, our boss -told- us to do this. "Yeah, even if you know it's not back there, just go back there and pretend to look for it for a little bit. It makes the customers feel better."

I don't think I ever found anything the customer was looking for, looking in the back.
Every fucking day.
I'm all man and all machine, a little sicko, little mean
I rock your brains out and you're sure to be damned
I lick your little finger then chew up your hand
for that's who I am: The Biomechanic man.
User avatar
Kyraine
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Kyraine »

I did it all the time when I worked retail. Makes me look like I give a shit, even when I know we didn't have said item in stock.
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...
User avatar
Kost
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:12 pm
Location: Under your bed.
Contact:

Re: So how many of you have done this?

Post by Kost »

Yep, always did this, only so much whining of 'But you haaaaaave to haaaaave it, I neeeeeed it!' you can take.

Don't miss retail. Not one bit.
Post Reply